Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Replacing inner tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing inner tie rod

Hello all,

I have an 1993 850 (180,000 approx) that failed safety inspection due to PS tie rod, I replaced the control arm w/new style which includes a new ball joint. I also replaced the PS outer tie rod (easy) and am fixing to replace DS outer tie rod also. I've been encouraged to also replace inner tie rods (steering rods) on both sides (as well as DS control arm & struts). Argument is that I should replace everything and then get alignment done once. It's cheaper but hell those parts are expensive and labor is well - LABOR.

I purchased new inner tie rods BUT they are threaded on one end where they attach to the outer rod AND the rest of the inner rod goes into a rubber "bellows" andthe end seems to require a friction-fit or be press-fitted into the receiving end which I believe is the steering rack. I hate press fitings as it always seems to screw up unless you remove everything to a bench and apply heat, PB Blaster and hydraulics & BFH.

I'm asking for opinions. There is no play in the inner rods. I will replace the outers, Am I making a mistake here. How difficult are the inner rods to remove and replace. My Haynes manual describes R&Replacing the outer but no mention of inner.Nor can I find an on-line reference. I don't want the car up on jacks BC forever while I try and get the inners off and on. Can I get an evaluation from someone who's been there as to what if any potentioal problems are awaiting me when I unclip the bellows?

Also do I need to replace lubricant in the bellows and what and where to buy

I have a philosophy re/ cars to fix what is broken or well worn if it's a safety part. The PS outer rod was done. The rubber around the ball socket was torn as is the rubber on the DS outer rod. The DS ball joint seems okay. No play, rubber intact; so I'm reluctant to shell out $65 to match the PS ball joint for age & wear BC it's what everyone always does. And I really don't even wanna think arout replacing the struts. The alignment on these is only toe-in & out everything else is fixed. Hell I can do that at home.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice -friendly or harsh

paul

Old 08-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Replacing inner tie rod

You can change the inner tierods if you want.
They simply unscrew from the steering rack.
Replace what ever you feel you need to replace.
Me If one side is bad and the other is original I would replace both just to save time from having to do it in the next month or 2.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another question - while looking within forums for information I seem to recall a comment that the bellows contained the inner or steering rods alsohave to be reloaded or repacked with a lubricant (grease?) from VOLVO. Naturally I can;t find my way back to the post.

Is there grease or a special lubricant that I'll need to replace/add once I open up the bellow and remove the inner rods? Is this plain ole grease or a special sauce from VOLVO. exclusively

Hey thanks for your time.

paulfr

Old 08-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

No need to put anything in there at all.
They are supposed to be dry inside the boots.