Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Replaxing Axle -- Tips, Advice, Warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaxing Axle -- Tips, Advice, Warnings?

I have a badly torn u-joint boot on the passenger's side axle. Instead of disassembling the axle and replacing the boot, I bought a rebuilt axle unit and will be installing it?

Have you done this?
How difficult is it?
Are theye any special tricks to it?
Should I be looking for anyhing else while I'm under there?
Should I let someone else do it?

Thanks
JM

Old 02-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Replaxing Axle -- Tips, Advice, Warnings?

How Comfortable are you will a fairly complicated item?
Do you have Air tool or an electric Impact?

You will need a 36MM socket,15mm socket,13mm Wrench, 18mm Socket and maybe a 17mm wrench And also a Pry Bar and a 12mm Socket.

(If you don't have an Impact gun)First start by removing the Center cap before jacking the car up break the Axle nut loose. Once loose jack up the car and secure on a jack stand. Then remove the wheel. Before you go to far Try using a brass punch or 2 Ballpeen hammers. I use the Hammers leave the nut towards the end of the Axle. Use a smaller hammer on the end of the Axle. Then use a bigger hammer to hit the smaller hammer to get the Axle to move. Leave the nut on till you get the Axle loose. I back the nut up against the hammer so I don't mess up the end of the Axle.Next unhook the ABS sensor wire out of the clips holding it. Then remove the swaybar link nut. That is where you might need the 17mm Wrench to hold on the back side of the sway bar link while removing the nut. Then remove teh outer tierod nut holding it to the Hub Assembly. Wack the hub part where the tierod goes through. This will allow the tierod to come loose. Then remove the lower balljoint nut and bolt. Slide the bolt out. Spray some lube,Rust penitrant in the balljoint area where it goes through the hub. Then take the prybar and pry down on the lower control arm and get teh balljoint out of the hub. Then you can pull the hub assembly out to access the Axle. Then remove the 2 12mm Bolts holding the Clamp to the engine and the Axle will slide out.

Hopefully this will help you decide if you want to do it or not.