Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rolled - Salvage value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkooda
Hi,

My daughter rolled her '97 850 the other night. It rolled at least 4 times and the airbags didn't go off. It landed on its wheels, with the engine still running. I haven't seen it yet, but the doors, roof and trunk are all wrecked. It has/had 180+k miles on it.

Anyone know what it might be worth for salvage? Where might I look for someone to buy it? The car is in Duluth, MN right now, but will likely be trailered to Grand Rapids, MN this weekend.

Thank God it was a Volvo. She and her 4 friends all survived (with various injuries).

Dan
If your daughter or you had collision auto insurance on the vehicle, I'd think they'd classify the vehicle totaled and give you a payout of the ACV (Actual Cash Value) prior to the accident, based upon condition, accessories and mileage, etc. In my daughter's case, her 1995 Volvo 850 GLE with 145,000 miles slid off a country road in the rain last year and hit a farmer's oak fence......the fence "won" and totaled the vehicle. Her USAA insurance gave her a ACV payout of $3500 for the vehicle minus her $500 deductible.......you can also get some credit in the ACV by submitting any repairs receipts (not oil changes) done to the vehicle during the last 12 months and we had $2000 or so I recall. It would have cost more than $3000 to fix her vehicle and the engine might had gotten a hairline crack when one of the boards went through the right side of the engine compartment and smashed the computer and timing belt case........economically it wasn't worth the investment to fix it. Most insurance companies will also let you buy the vehicle back from them after they pay out the collision, so that's an option you can consider if you still want to try to repair it. Selling a totaled vehicle or any vehicle to the salavage yard isn't a good option......they will usually only give you $100 - $200. In that case, it's better to sell a totaled vehicle to someone who wants it for parts or will try to fix it up........may get maybe $400 or so........or, part it out yourself but that's a lot of work dismantling a vehicle! Good luck!!