Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rough Idle then dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle then dies

Fellow Volvo-ers

A few days ago I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter in my 1997 Volvo 850 non-turbo. When replacing the pump, I actually put it in 180 degrees off and hooked the lines up wrong, return was hooked to feed and vice versa. So, after I figured that out, car cranked and seem to run fine for a day. Then it started idling rough. Last night it stalled and now it will crank but then begins to run rough and dies after just a few seconds. It will crank right up but loses power shortly after. I can get it to rev for a sec or two but then stalls and dies.

Could I have damaged something by hooking it in the reverse? Or should I be looking at something else?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I would guess not. Have you checked the relay? That may have been the problem all along.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 PM

rspi - thanks for the response. I have not changed the relay but I know my pump was bad - it was not kicking on at all. Now it runs, I can hear it running while the car is running - even though the car dies pretty quickly - the pump does stay on. Can it still be a relay problem?

I was thinking fuel pressure regulator, though mine seems to be in a different place than the chilton shows. It is not under the injector rail. It appears I only have the feed line coming up to the injector rail - so I am guessing that means my regulator is down below some where?

Is there a fuel pressure relay? reason I ask is, and I know its not safe and Im a moron for doing it, but while the car was sputtering I pushed the shrader valve on the injector rail and the car ran okay for a min, then would die again. I did this a couple more times and it seemed to help, but of course, I didnt want to blow myself up so I stopped. This got me thinking there is a problem with the fuel pressure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you ck the fuel pressure? Sounds like you damaged the fuel pressure regulator but w/o cking the pressure you're just guessing.

What do you mean your regulator is not on the fuel rail? Can you see the return line? It hooks up to the regulator; post pics of what your setup looks like..

Old 07-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Default Resolved

Gdog - thanks for the response. I found the regulator. Chilton's has it under the rail. I added the Volvo to my AllData DIY account and they showed it under the car by the filter. It t's off (or into) the feed line and has a vacuum line that runs to the canister at the front of the car.I checked and that is where it was.

Before I changed it though, I took a minute to think about the problems and when they started. I dont mind making my self look like a total idiot here so I will post what the problem was, in case anyone else makes the same rookie mistake I did.

The fuel pump was my original problem. My rookie mistake is, I didnt tighten the clamp on the fuel pump hose tight enough and it slid off. The new fuel pump was shorter than the original and it slid down. I probably cut the hose a little too short and with the clamp not being tight - voila - pump failure. Since I heard the pump coming on - I incorrectly ignored that as the problem. All the head banging I did over the past couple of days was resolved by simply going back to the beginning!

I to prevent the same thing from happening again, I replaced the too short hose with a longer one, tightened the clamps and used tie straps to secure the pump to the carrier to prevent it from sliding.

Thanks to everyone for responding. I love this forum. It has helped me tremendously with this car.