Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

rpm fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpm fluctuation

Hi all, I searched the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I bought a 94 850T sedan with 123K miles. It runs fine except I've noticed a slight fluctuation in rpms while cruising steady anywhere from 25 on up to 65 mph. I thought that maybe it was some bad gas but it still does it with fresh 91 fuel. Any prior experiences like this?

Also, it didn't come with remotes. Can I get some and will they work with this vehicle? All the doors(and trunk) unlock when any door is unlocked with the key.

Thanks so much!

Mike

Old 11-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: rpm fluctuation

How much fluctuation are you seeing on the RPM's? The remotes probably can be found on e-bay. All you have to do to program them is is to turn your ingnition on and off five times, leave it on after the fifth time then push one button on the remote. Turn the ignition off and the remote should work. I think the same remotes work all 850's 93-97. The don't seem to work on my 98 V70 though.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:35 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mike,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

I wonder if the car came with a log book (maintenance record). If not, it is difficult to know how the car's condition is.

When accelerating, the RPM does shift somewhat since the ECU's searching for the best RPM at the given condition. I have not noticed fluctuation at steady cruise, however.

Is check engine light on the dash turned on? If not, it probably is something basic (routine maintenance items requiring replacement, etc...), vacuum leak, loose/dirty electrical connections, or such. If the check engine light is on, you may be able to pinpoint the problem. 1994 850 has both manually-accessible diagnostic unit in the engine compartment and OBD-II receptacle in front of the shifter (under the coin holder).

As to the remote, I couldn't give you a good advice as I've never had anything that fancy. You might be able to install an aftermarket unit (Volvo dealer probably wants $$$).

If you could provide a bit more detail on the symptom, people can give you better replies.

Regards,

JPN

Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM

Hey guys not to butt in or anything but, I'm in the same shoes. I have searched all night. I have a 93 glt and mine started with what felt like the tranny slipping when it went from 1st to 2nd only when in "econ" mode. But when in sport it held nice, especially when i did new plug wires, new plugs, cleaned all the build up off the car and rotor and did a fuel filter. But now it is as if when i let off the accelerator it drops rpm's and almost dies. it also has the same "bogging" effect if i cruise at idle. I can fix it myself i just don't wanna start ripping up the temperamental brick [&:]. also when i start it for the first time each day i have to just sit and crank on it for about 20-60 seconds with the gas pedal floored to get it to kick over. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/7415/9AC079618B45469E8531F2D77EE69AE4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello shawn,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

As for the tranny problem, is the arrow on the dash flashing? I assume it isn't, since you didn't note it. Is the tranny fluid at correct level? The gearbox on 850 is a sensitive/over-engineered unit and detects negligible faults, which degrades performance. If your 850 has OBD-II receptacle in front of the shifter (under the coin holder), you may want to have the code checked at AutoZone, etc... (I found a scanner for $100 at Sears Craftsman).

As for the rough idle problem, it is difficult to say what the problem is, without actually looking/testing the car. But cranking for 60 seconds is way too long, you will fry the starter sooner or later. 15 seconds should be the max. It seems like fuel control problem, is the check engine light on? When you turn the key to the 2nd detent, do you see the check engine light illuminating? If not, the bulb for the warning is out. If the previous owner didn't take good care, the throttle plate area may need cleaning as well. Or could be vacuum leak, blocked exhaust, faulty idle control system, etc...

The car probably needs thorough inspection at either Volvo dealer ($$$) or shops that specialize in Swedish/European cars only.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM

Ya, ,y idiot lights are all functioning. I am hopeing it is a vacuum leak or fuel. I am actually fishin in under and around everything now. as for the tranny. all fluids are good, no bad smell really. The previous owner took very good care, and i believe it is just going to be some itty bitty little wire or air leaking pin whole i can't see

Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you clean the throttle body and idle motor?

Check good for vaccum leaks.

Any codes stored? The light might not be on but there still might be codes.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:12 PM

I haven't checked for codes yet.

With the throttle steady, the rpms will drop 2-300 and then come back up. It's not a fast drop like cutting out yet it's not so slow as to not notice it. This may be related also to the cruise situation. I can set the cruise and it will hold for a few seconds but then the car will slowly deccelerate. I did find a vacuum hose up front by the radiator that had popped loose and reconnected it but that only fixed the boost gage. I'll attempt to solve this Saturday so any other suggestions along with what already have been offered are greatly appreciated!

I will grab a remote off the bay and give it a shot.

God bless, MIke

Old 11-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly a lot of the cruise control vac hoses go under the battery tray and since batteries leak now and then the hoses might be going or gone.