Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Seat recliner cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat recliner cable

Hello all,

I have an electronic seat adjuster. On the passenger side all the motors work, but the reclining position just spins away. I've opened the back of the leather and felt around. It appears that a cable runs low from one side up the seat (towards the head rest) and arcs then comes down the other side. The point where the cable enters the small metal boxes feels very sturdy, but I can feel the cable (inside the black casing) spin free without effecting the reclingin position of the seat back.

There is alot of foam here and the long square bar, that runs across horizontally, has two pieces of white plastic that appeared to go around the bar, but are now off completely. Is this fastened someway?

My question is has anyone fixed this cable? Can I force the long square bar so that my seat position changes with a wrench? Will that make the repair worse?

Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Seat recliner cable

Carefully take a small mini torch and heat the metal on one of the ends of the cable.Then push in on the plastic and push the seat control and the outer sheild should slide on more and the seat should start working.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 AM

If I feel it spin, I should heat the non motor side? I guess this is where the seat gear is not working.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You could do either side. The thing you want to do is shorten the outer sheild. Because it stretched with age.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:58 AM

How do you reset the position potentiometer? Its a one-turn pot, but does fully CW or CCW correspond to having the recline in the fully forward position?

I'm wondering if my pot is bad or just slipped its gear, vs a cable problem. The cable is still nice & square, not rounded off. But it seems to me that the cable could slide within its sheath and come out of the socket on either the motor or gear side, because the sockets are not blind holes.

My unit refused to move forwards. I moved it to fully reclined, and tried to "bump" it forwards in order to recalibrate the pot. It worked once, but a few weeks later it stayed in the fully reclined position so I took it out & apart today. What a PIA!!!!! I jumpered the motor and it works; and I have moved the seat back into the fully forward position.

Why the heck do they use hard stainless for those hog rings? Aluminum wouldn't rust and you could open them without resorting to a cutting wheel ! tie wraps for me...

Old 11-22-2005, 12:04 PM

For our trip today I didn't have time to take the cover all the way up, so I undid the hog ties at the bottom and reached both arms up the back and pulled down the cable while my wife inched the back up. It is now in a comfortable position, but it still isn't fixed. BTW, Tech thank you!

Old 11-22-2005, 11:37 PM

I heated up the connector and shortened the flex cable. A bit too much, it shoved the plastic into the connector area and now it doesn't want to insert fully into the motor receptical. But I managed to torque down the screws on the mounting plate anyway.

By observation I figured out the potentiometer direction for forward, and installed it that way.

Back in the car, all the other directions work but the recline just doesn't do anything. Maybe I can reset the trouble codes?

I'll have to try disconnecting the pot wire. Cold, dark and cramped in the car but I'm not hauling it out again.

Maybe I'll just leave the pot disconnected and live without the memory & have to be careful not to over-limit the recline distance.

BTW, the dealer wants $95 for a new pot, and none of the online places carry that part.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:43 AM

Well it didn't work because there is a connector on the back of the "big black box" under the seat came off in all the moving & dragging of the seat.

Once inserted again, the seat moves backwards but not forwards. Same effin' problem I started with!

I left it in a neutral driveable position. Guess I have no choice but to goto the dealer and pay for a computer seat recalibration.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:06 AM

Well I tried one more thing... I removed the pot unit from the motor shaft and ran the motor; somehow I got it working.