Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

she didnt start tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default she didnt start tonight

seems like 1 thing after another...but Im gonna get this baby running smooth if it kills be...lol

Tonight after a meeting she cranked but didnt start.

I noticed I couldnt hear the fuel pump.

I had a buddy use the jack to bang on the cover of the fuel pump...and after a few tries she fired right up.

So now it seems a new fuel pump is in order. I cant imagine that anything else was the issue.

I think I need part # 9480152 (please confirm if you can, thanx)

I found some used on ebay for under $100 (pump and full sending unit)

I want to go genuine volvo part here... and the new ones go for over $300 so a used one will have to do.

I wonder if a new pump will increase performance any....of it there is just a dead spot on the motor which it happened to stop on tonight.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it's definitely the pump. You can replace just the pump, if you're careful, but you need to take the old one out first and measure the pump diameter. A new pump alone will run about $100 (aftermkt) to $200 for OEM Bosch.

Putting a used one in is gambling IMO, but everyone's got their own budget to deal with...

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM

I found one thats the whole unit and it was under $100 (OEM) used and has a 30 day warrenty.
compared to the $400 new OEM one I think its worth the gamble.

At least tonight banging on the top got it to work again. Would have sucked to have it towed.

Even with the mulitple issues im having, I like the car.

I paid $1500 for it. Thus far bought about $350 in parts (including fuel pump) and bought a new OBD II reader for another $65.

If I can get all issues fixed for under $600 then Im still doing pretty good. KBB value in fair condition is over 2K.

I will get some pics of her soon. She needs to be washed 1st (maine winter roads suck)
When warmer weather comes I want to paint the rims, tint the rear lights and make eye lids for the headlights.

The hood also needs attention. It was replaced at some point and the color is very faded. Im not sure if I want to color match it or just paint it black (car is charcoal gray color)

When spring arrives I also want to look into new speakers for the rear. Stock ones arent that bad tho. WAY better than the stock ones in the 740's I have owned!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 AM

go to a junkyard, the pump is easy to get to and you can use the pump from an 850, S70, and V70, as long as it's not AWD... you'll want to do some searching, but you can hook up a meter between the wires on the pump and ohm it out to tell if it's good or not before you buy it, I got a used pump out of a water-damaged S70 (had been in a lake) for $65 from a pick & pull type place

Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 AM

i got one off ebay last night for $97 shipped.
It looked super clean, and has a 30 day warrenty. OEM complete assembly.

The junk yards around here a robbers. They charge whatever they want cause there isnt enough compitition.

And they tend to scrap anything over 15 years old.

Its not like those awsome junk yards in southen states I have seen, where the fluids are drained and the cars are stacked (and on blocks) and arranged by make. The yards here the cars are in fields, on the ground (sometimes starting to sink due to mud season) and you have to search for what you need pretty hard sometimes.

There was a guy 1 hour from me who had is own volvo junk yard, and he was very fair and very helpful....but he doesnt touch any of the fwd volvos. he is a 740 and prior guy. So he was big help with the 740s i had.

I considered buying a tuned up and freshly primered 142 from him. Had hot cams and some other bits on it, and the body was all fixed up and ready for paint. Would have made a nice little street racer

I should do some searching and see if I can find someone like him that also deals with the 850's.

Im eagerly waiting for the OBD II reader to arrive. I want to clear the codes and see what comes back. Plus it has some real time readouts as well. That plus the repair manual should help me figure out more of this stuff on my own.