Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Should I or shouldn't I

Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Should I or shouldn't I

Here's the scenario.

We will be taking the 231,000 mile 95 850 turbo Sedan from Washington State to South Dakota in about three weeks for a family reunion. Reason we are taking it is it is the only car we have that my two 6' plus teenagers can ride in comfortably for long periods.

My question is this. With all of the threads about fuel pump failures lately, I'm wondering if I should by a spare pump (just the pump, not the whole friggin assembly) for the trip just in case. Part of me says not to worry about it as the car is running well, but the other part of me has vision of it going out somewhere in Montana, hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer or decent mechanic.

Today I pulled the trunk cover off and looked at the pump. It sure looks like it is the original one. I will say the fuel line connectors came off without too much trouble and the retaining ring came loose fairly easily. All in all, it looks like if I had too I could change out the pump in less than an hour.

So, based on the car, mileage, and trip, what would you do, get a spare, or not worry about it ?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that's all you're concerned about, take a spare along with you. It sounds like you've got the rest of the prep covered. Enjoy the trip!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it...most auto parts stores stock them our can have then on sure in a couple hours. When i bought mine, it was a stocked item.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Psaboic,

The only advise I can offer is there is no warning. I was out of town on business in Medford, OR. Car was running great. On my return it just died 3 miles from my home in Beaverton. I had (at the time) no idea what happened. True, the item was a stock item. BTW, the pump looks exactly like the ones VW uses. My mechanic friend tells me VW stocks a bunch of these, so it is a common failure.

My 2 cents, buy the assembly, have piece of mind, remember, a good Boy Scout is always prepared.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The more I think about it, I am going to spend the cash and buy a spare pump and relay just for the peace of mind. Even if I do not use it on the trip, I will have it in case the pump ever does go out. Worst case scenario, I never use it and the car goes away for some reason or other......I can then sell it to someone or use it on another 850!!

Even though most auto parts stores stock one, that is no help if you are stranded 60 miles from the nearest parts store....in the rain...at night, etc......