Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Slight Transmission Slip

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Transmission Slip

I posted this in another thread, but it jogged my memory and I wanted some other opinions, and to call attention to it more.

1995 850 GLT, 140,000 miles, automatic

About 3 years ago, after driving a road trip of about 2000 miles, when I pulled into my destination I noticed a weird transmission problem. As I was parking, I hit the gas and the engine revved up but the car didn't move at all. I let up on the gas, reapplied the brakes, went to park, then drive, and it worked fine.

Over the next 3 years, that scenario has happened about 5-10 times. Another issue I was having was that when starting the car, then placing it into reverse, a loud "CLUNK" would be felt as it moved into reverse. So much so that I was trying to avoid parking where I had to reverse, as it scared me. I took it to Aamco, the transmission chain, they did a check and couldn't duplicate the problems. Edit:This very rarely happens, even now.

Fast forward 2.5 years. In the last say 6 months, it seems the problem might be escalating. After driving on the highway, when I let up on the gas, coast, down an off-ramp, and then reapply the gas the engine revs but I don't feel a pull. I let up off the gas and let it drop to idle, then re-apply, and then it grabs. That's happened maybe 4-5 times.

Now very recently, within the past 3 months, while driving at a slower speed in the city, say 30 - 40 mph, and then coasting and stopping at a light, when I go to reapply the gas the same thing happens. Revvs up to ~2000 rpm, I let up, then reapply gas and off we go. That has happened maybe 4 times over the last three months of daily driving.

I drove this car as a teen and honestly wasn't very good to it. I'd rev up the engine in Neutral and then slam it to Drive to get it to burn out. My mother would back out of the garage and - while still moving in reverse - put it into Drive. I look back on that and wince. Nothing I can do about it now. Is my transmission toast? Any ideas what sort of lifespan I might still have on it? I don't believe the fluid has ever been changed, I'm going to start with that. Also, I took the car to get an oil change recently and they mentioned the transmission fluid was nasty - could that be the reason for the intermittent slippage? (I HOPE!! Probably not though...).

Edit: Wanted to add - the rear main seal is blown, and it appears as though oil is blowing back onto the transmission. Could this be the problem?

-matt

Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Slight Transmission Slip

I would say the transmission is on its last leg.
Mine is starting to have a small problem almost like yours.
When I come to a light when it is hot it goes into neutral till I tap the gas once and then it is fine for a little while.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that from now on. Any idea if those additives such as Lucas Oil work? If the transmission goes out on this puppy it'll be a sad day, but I'll look for another 850 I think. I do love it.

-matt

Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Administrator

I doubt it.
I haven't tried any of the additives so I can't tell you for sure.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM

FWIW I put a bottle of Lucas Oil in and the transmission is now smooth as silk. Very nice! I'm still planning on flushing it though. Hopefully it helped, it certainly feels better.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Keep me posted on how it goes after a little while I might try it in my car.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 AM

I have always heard good things about the Lucas additives. I put some in my Explorer years ago and it really smoothed out the shifting. With that said, additives in my opinion are only a band aid and will buy you time at best. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I would start looking for a cheap used transmission though in case that day comes and you want to keep the car. Let us know how the additive holds up.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 PM

I am having this exact same problem right now any new developments?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Default lucas and a flush

i had a problem with my tranny fluid a year or more ago. i flushed it twice and it improved but it still went from 2nd to 3rd pretty hard and 1st to 2nd felt soft/slipp-ish.

i tried adding a bottle of lucas and it improved a little more. i can still sorta feel the shift anomolies but my passangers dont anymore.

good luck!