Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

So how about an 850-R....wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So how about an 850-R....wagon?

As everyone now knows, I'm set on getting an 850-R, my wife andwe just can't do it right now. We're hoping late summer, early fall is when we'll be ready financially. But like all things, as we discussed our situation, what our needs for another car were, etc., we've found ourselves making lifestyle changes as well. We finally bought her a nice bike and I hate bike racks on cars... so we're thinking a wagon is the way to go. Not to mention I've always like the 850-R wagons, and I've finally convinced my wife that just because it's a wagon, doesn't mean it's a mom car. 850-R wagons can look just as mean and aggressive as anything. Plus, they are awesome when it comes to a mile outdoors lifestyle. We live in CO after all, and being able to haul stuff is always a good thing.

Are wagons much more rare than sedans? I didn't think they were, but it seems now there's 850-R sedans everywhere, and not a single wagon for sale, aside from the poor beat-down black wagon for $3,000 that I wouldn't take if it was given to me (okay, i might take it if it were free.) I would guess there really aren't any additional things to watch out for with it being a wagon and not a sedan?

On a side but related note... would it be worth considering a V70-R as well?

As always, thanks much!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So how about an 850-R....wagon?

Are you talking about the poor beat down black R wagon in Aurora, Colorado? I was going to buy that but found a better condition T5 Wagon closer to home. If you are not too concerned about the extra power, why not just consider a 850 T5 Wagon? they are powerful as is and if you dont mind the few cosmetic differences, you will be paying a lot less for a good condition one than a R.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huzzsaba said exactly what I was going to say.

The 850 R Wagons seem few and far between. The V70 R wagon is AWD, but would be a great car for you in Co. My son has a 98 and loves it. Well I should say his wife loves it. He rarely gets to drive it. My 98 V70 is a GLT which is the Low Pressure Turbo 198 HP vs. 236 for the T5 or the R. I don't think they made very many 850 R wagons, but you see one ever once in a while. There were only about 25 yellow 850 T5R wagons brought to the US. If I find one, I'm buying it.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: huzzsaba

Are you talking about the poor beat down black R wagon in Aurora, Colorado? I was going to buy that but found a better condition T5 Wagon closer to home. If you are not too concerned about the extra power, why not just consider a 850 T5 Wagon? they are powerful as is and if you dont mind the few cosmetic differences, you will be paying a lot less for a good condition one than a R.

Yup the one in Aurora is the one I was talking about. I live about an hour from that one, but it's just too beat. Almost all the paint on the roof is gone, along with all the other things wrong with it. It was first listed at, I believe, $4500 and it's down to $3000. I would definately consider a T5, even the GLT V70. Anything wagon is what we're looking at right now. On the V70-R, how's the AWD system? I've heard Volvo's AWD is less than desireable, that it's basically a glorified FWD. My Typhoon is AWD with a 35F/65R split. We really don't need the AWD though. When we got this snowstorm,

and could finally get out of the driveway into the street, our Volvo went everywhere... even with the ABS/Tracs on the fritz. Made me a firm believe in Volvo FWD

Old 06-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the black R run tho? Did you go see it? I was mainly concerned about the performance with all the modifications done to it. I prefer a stockish car over a modded anyday unless it has been modded tastefully of course.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:26 PM

I didn't even bother to go check it out. It was too rough on the outside... which to me, usually tells me how it's been treated mechanically. If it's still for sale this fall, and we can't find anything else, I'll probably at least go check it out. But I know there's nicer cars out there waiting for me to find them.