Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Stalled and will not start - code 223

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled and will not start - code 223

A couple days ago my '95 850 stalled in my driveway (at least I was lucky on that) and it will not restart. The stall ocurred just after putting it in reverse. The engine was already hot and after putting it gear it ran rough for about a second then stalled. I pulled the codes and got 223 (IAC Value Signal Absent or Faulty) for position 1. For position 2 I got a code of 121 (not sure what this is). All others were ok. My first question is what is the IAC and where is this sensor located? I am guesssing that the other code might be associated with the ECU?

My volvo has 225K miles and with exception of replacing the park-nuetral safetly switch ayear ago, it has been great.

Any thoughts on what I should check first to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Ron
'95 850
'03 Expedition
'66 912
'76 TransAm

Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Stalled and will not start - code 223

Ok,I found out that IAC stands for idle air control valve. So, where is this located? Is this the likely problem for not starting?

Ron

Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 PM

I believe the IAC is the pully located under the cover next to your fuel rail..

No clue on your problems though..

Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM

I checked ignition and I get park (via timing light on each plug wire). As for fuel, I accessed the shreader valve on the fuel rail. With the key on, there is not pressure. I am now guessing my problem is the fuel pump, or fuel pump shutdown relay. I replaced this relay 2.5 years ago after purchasing the car. Problem was that it stalled out after driving for a while.

Before digging inot replacing the fuel pump, is there a test to see if the pump is working? Is there a way to test the fuel pump shutdown relay?

Ron

Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 AM

^To test the fuel pump. Have a friend put the key into position 2.

You will want to put your ear to the passenger side wheel well. If you hear a buzzing/pump priming, then your pump is probably ok.

Another test is to have a friend crank the motor while you tap the fuel tank, and jar the pump. If that works, you're pump is 99% dead.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks. I took it a step further and pulling the trunk mat and disconnected the fuel pump power connector. I connected to a volt meter and turned key on. Voltage shows 12V for 5sec then goes to mV range after relay kicks off. Looks like fuel pump in bad. Got a price of $375, so far. Plan to keep looking to find one cheaper

Ron

Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 PM

I got mine off ebay from Superparts Inc. I'm pretty happy with it.

Otherwise, get the Walboro, or check FCP groton.

Note: You only need a PUMP and not the entire assembly.

Edit: My pump was only 70-80 bucks shipped. I think 72 shipped if I remember right.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Rev

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

Edit: My pump was only 70-80 bucks shipped. I think 72 shipped if I remember right.
That's good to know, I kept seeing those on eBay all the time. Glad to hear it was a good replacement, when mine goes, that's what I will get.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Rev

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

That's good to know, I kept seeing those on eBay all the time. Glad to hear it was a good replacement, when mine goes, that's what I will get.

Well, one thing to note, is that I've only had my pump for 1000-2000 miles so far. But I haven't noticed any major problems with it.

It runs pretty quiet too. I know a lot of people complain that their pumps are loud after going to 255lph, but I really don't notice anything (or it could just be that I usually have music on...).

There was a guy recently (the guy selling his red R) who got the same pump, and he said for him, his pump seemed to run louder than the stock..

The quality just judging from the outside though, doesn't seem bad at all..

Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the very useful info guys.

I took the fuel pump out this afternoon (very eay to do, thanks to Volvo's excellent design). After removing the pump on my wookbench,I connected a 12V battery and again nothing. Gave it a wack on the side with a screw driver handle and it powered up. It appears to be the original pump, as it is a Bosch and the seal ring and tank connects appear untouched. 225K mileson the original pump......can't complain.

I will check out ebay. The price you state sounds great. Prices I got from various auto part stores ranged from $210 to $375.

After fixing this, I will have to attend to the idle air control valve. I read that cleaning it out may solve the problem. If not I will end up replacing it.

Best regards,
Ron

Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ronski

Thanks for all the very useful info guys.

I took the fuel pump out this afternoon (very eay to do, thanks to Volvo's excellent design). After removing the pump on my wookbench,I connected a 12V battery and again nothing. Gave it a wack on the side with a screw driver handle and it powered up. It appears to be the original pump, as it is a Bosch and the seal ring and tank connects appear untouched. 225K mileson the original pump......can't complain.

I will check out ebay. The price you state sounds great. Prices I got from various auto part stores ranged from $210 to $375.

After fixing this, I will have to attend to the idle air control valve. I read that cleaning it out may solve the problem. If not I will end up replacing it.

Best regards,
Ron
Sounds great. Let me know if you have any questions w/ the install (although it seems like you got it down pat) One thing your car is probably due for is the fuel filter, so I'd do that also since it's pretty easy.

Good luck on the IAC valve, and let us know how it goes.

One more thing is that at 225k, you might be due for a timing belt change/water pump if you didn't do it earlier. Better safe than sorry.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 PM

One last question. Was the TREperformance 255lph pump an exact fit to the pump housing and hose connection? Has anyone had an issue with using these pumps. I know they are much cheaper, but I hate to have to replace it a few thousand miles from now.

Ron

Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 PM

^I didn't get the Treperformance one, but on VolvoSpeed, there was a guy saying good things about them.

The one I got was made by Super Parts Inc.

This is speaking strictly from my point of view:
Was it an exact fit? I wouldn't say EXACT, but it fit in there without any modification. I will say that the stock spring kind of gets in the way, and it was somewhat annoying.

The hose however, was very slightly short. You couldn't get the hose all the way on the pump and all the way on the assembly. The hose was only maybe 80% on both nipples, so it is imperitive that it's tight and it can't fall off. My hose actually fell off while I was driving.

Another thing to note, is that you might have to solder the electrical contacts of the assembly. It'd even recommend you use some electrical tape and tape it up just to make sure that the connections hold.

Let me know if you got more questions.