Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue

I took out and fixed my radiator and replaced my thermostat on my 1995 850turbo wagon i started it and the radiator still had a leak in it so i gave up and decided to look for a new one and i let it set in the mean time i went to start it up and move it a few days later the battery was dead of course so i jumped it with are other car and i culdent get it to fire seems to have plenty of juice but i checked fuel and spark i have neither and the radio dosent work and i have no gauges working thaugt maybe i some how i blew the ecu's when i was jumping it or they got wet but i had to back up ones and they wouldent get it to start ether so now im scratching my head the nearest i can tell its electrical and its a major problem or something real stupid i know there is not alot of **** that controls fuel and spark at the same time crank censor? dont know and i did check all fuse's but why do i have no gauges or radio ive been working on volvos for the last 6 years came across some issues but nothing like this if any one has any idea please help i cant share the other family car any more and i dont want to sink 1000s of dollars throwing unnessasery parts at thank you ~pat~

Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Pat, I would think the battery is not charged enough to start it yet. If the crank sensor was bad it would still turn over and all the other stuff would work. Also, be extra careful to make sure you hook up the jumper cables correctly. Check the manual or the on-line manual at Volvo. The battery on the good car should have both cables and the dead battery should not have the neg cable connected to the battery. See here: https://www.customers.volvocars.com/...0_411.htm#4:13 It may take several minutes to get the battery charged enough to get the car to kick over. Also, you may want to make sure the battery post & cables are clean.

If I were you, I would just go get a new battery and start from there.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:14 AM

yeah it cranks over just fine it probaly dose need a battery but i ran 2 sets of jumpers off my honda and i had two different grounds (not on Battery) made good conections checked them every time and 2 cables going to the pos and i was reving the honda at about 3000 rpms i would just think i would have some action from the fuel pump and or coil the pump wont even hum because it was turning over just fine and i let it sit for a good 20 minnets well i checked fuses but hey cant hurt giving it a shot thanks alot

Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM

dose oil presure censor or coolant temp censor effect fuel spark i do know that they will mess the instrument cluster up my other question is there any inline fuses or relays on the 850

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a Jeep that cranked but did not turn over. It was the cam shaft sensor. But you were talking about so many other problems that surely would not be effected by the cam shaft sensor that I leaned towards battery.

Not sure about oil pressure stuff and all that. Hope someone comes and helps you out.