Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Sticking Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Sticking Throttle Body

Hi Everyone,

Since you were all such a great help when I replaced the PCV system last week, I have one more question..

I was on the highway last night and passed someone. Suddenly the throttle got stuck and kept pulling! I had the fight it with some hard breaking. I got off at the nearest exit, came to a stop and threw it in Park. It was revving to the redline and I shut it off asap.

When I checked it out, the rod that pulls the throttle body open and closed, was just hanging there. I turned the throttle body by and and it wasn't turning smoothly at all, kind of binding when half way open. I inspected the cable it it didn't seem to be full of slack or anything.

Anyway, I was on my way to work and had AAA tow it to my mechanic. He doesn't seem to know much about Volvos, however.

All I did when doing the PCV job was unhook the cable, then reattach it when I was done. I also cleaned the TB with throttle body cleaner, while I was at it.

Is this an easy fix, or should I take it to the dealer? I wanted to leave it to a professional at this point, considering this can be very dangerous...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle body is closed by a spring. The spring is on the throttle body end where the rod connects. Maybe this has broken or come undone?

Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The throttle linkage is similar to any other vehicle out there. If he can work on any, ANY other cars throttle linkage he can do yours . . . unless he just doesn't want to.
It's a basic cable pulling on a linkage with a rod with plastic/metal ball sockets and a throttle plate and shaft in the TB. Something is hanging up and it's a matter of disconnecting parts to eliminate them from the system until you find the offending part.

Were you using the cruise control at the time ?? When you lightly tap on the brake has it always disengaged the system ?
That's another thing to disconnect in searching for the problem.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

In case of emergency... if my throttle ever got stuck open, the first thing I would do is turn the car off, keep the key in accessory position, bump the car in neutral, turn on the flashers, and get to the side of the road.

Besides that, what instructions did you use that had you disconnect the throttle cable? What year car do you have? If it doesn't have EGR, you don't even have to disconnect the throttle from the manifold.

Other than my bitchin', my guess would be that the throttle body spring broke. I've never hear of that happening but I guess it is possible.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Did it just hang open once or when you step on the accelerator does it feel like there is nothing pulling it back ??

Throttle body return spring.

Attached Thumbnails Sticking Throttle Body-throttle-body-return-spring.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 AM

The car is with him now. And it does sound like he doesn't really want to work on it..

It was only happening when I got on the highway around 70 - 80 mph. Never touched cruise control. Plus, I think my breaking would have cut it off .Around town it was fine earlier in the day.

On the side of the road I was checking it out.

From what I remember last night, the gas pedal was lifeless, like it wasn't connected at all. I remember I reconnected the linkage. The cable looked normal. I started it again. It was idling fine but the linkage kept falling off with the slightest touch.

I used the FCP Euro kit and followed their video on Youtube

If my mechanic won't work on it, should I have it towed back home and tackle it myself?

He initially said that I shouldn't have touched the cable in the first place and the dealer has to reset it electronically for $600. But I don't think he knows Volvos. Mine is a 96 850 wagon. N/A (non turbo)

Old 11-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Maybe I missed something ... what car are we talking about ??

Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 AM

It's a 96 850 wagon (non turbo). I used the FCP Euro PCV kit. Everything went well, until I had issues with the stuck throttle body last night..

Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 AM

I think I just figured it out.. Could it be the throttle likage clips? If the linkage falls off, while driving - wouldnt the TB be stuck in the same position with nothing to pull it closed again?

I just stumbled across this thread

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...e-clips-71334/

Old 11-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Administrator

If the linkage falls off the springs should shut it down to idle immediately. UNLESS . . . the linkage somehow jams in a place that holds it open. Not very likely.
If you had the car the thing to find out is if it's presently snapping shut or hanging up.

He initially said that I shouldn't have touched the cable in the first place and the dealer has to reset it electronically for $600.

I can fly there and fix it for that much. Maybe he is thinking of the throttle by wire or electronic throttles on the '00 and later engines. The 850 has a strictly mechanical throttle system from pedal to the throttle plate. There is adjustment to it and the cruise control cables.

Maybe you should make a copy of the info in the link and give it to the mechanic. BUT . . . if this guy is talking six hundred for something that doesn't exist on your car nor could it be done on your vehicle you're better off reading this and figuring it out yourself or calling a friend. Even a local VoTech would be a better choice.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/ser...djustments.pdf

My photo above shows the spring that might be your problem if it's broken. If it's not broken then something else bound up in the system and stuck your throttle open. As long as you didn't mess with any adjustments the throttle should work the same after you put it back together as it did before.

Disconnect stuff and feel for something binding.
Keep us updated, it really shouldn't be that big a problem to find or fix. Maybe this guy had a bad experience with an electronic throttle body and he thinks this one has on too.

The thing is mechanics make mistakes, some don't want to work on certain cars or want certain jobs at all and estimate accordingly.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-17-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:17 AM

Thanks Kiss4aFrog,

Sounds good. I'll have to wait til Monday when the mechanic reopens his shop and go from there..

Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Aw man, very well produced video but I would not recommend pulling that cable apart or taking that fuel rail apart that way. Just me. I'll try to get a video posted tomorrow with my method, not that it will do you any good.

I would do what Kiss has suggested. The only thing I think it could be is the spring on the throttle body, unless the linkage jammed it open. I had one of those linkages pop off myself. My throttle just went dead. They are about $18 new at the dealer. The older ones are adjustable and the newer cars it is not. If it is popping off, get a new one of those and go get your car.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Administrator

What he (Rspi) said, I said

Old 11-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Hey guys,

I got my car back and also picked up a new TB linkage. Before I swapped it out, I noticed it was actually resting on the small PCV tube. (installed last week) It was causing the linkage to bind against it and wasn't letting the spring snap it closed again.

I put on the new linkage and rerouted that small PCV hose behind the TB and out of the way.

Simple fix. Too bad I didn't notice this sooner...

Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Administrator

So paying me to fly there and fix it is out then