Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Sunroof troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof troubles

I have a 96 850. Lately the sunroof opens ok, but when I try to close it, it goes part way, then sticks and reverses. Either a)doesw someone have a similar problem, or b), how can I get the roof out to check the path?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Sunroof troubles

You mean it will go back by itself without you touching the switch?

Old 11-13-2006, 02:20 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings from Chicagoland.

I don't know exactly what your 850's symptom is, but mine had trouble closing. After thorough cleaning and close inspection, I found that the track itself was shot (plastic parts were broken), about a $100 part from dealer.

It could be anything, a faulty switch or slide mechanism. A technician at Bay-13 at Volvospeed has good instructions as to how to go about dissecting the sunroof:

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php

The procedure is easy, just remove the glass and inspect the mechanism. If the track is shot, like mine, you'd have to remove lots of interior trims and you don't want to go there.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 11-13-2006, 09:22 AM

When I try to close it, part way it will slow, stop, and then reverse, opening all the way. If I push the sun shade with it, it gives me the leverage to make it close, but sometimes it will close ok, and sometimes it will be a bit off and not seal right.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you havea mechanical problem with too much resistance on the track. Like JPN mentioned i think you should check out the track system and check the cause of the resistance.

-Mike

Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 AM
JPN

Greetings from a bit rainy Chicagoland.

When I inspected mine, there were bits of plastics on the track (slide rail) mechanism, that were blocking the track rail. I took them all out, cleaned the track & put some lubricant. During this process I found that the bottom of the scissors mechanism was broken, throwing pieces of plastics. I too, had to resort to manual forcing by pushing part of the glass frame to close the sunroof. The left side was ok, but the right side scissors mechanism was shot. There is a hole where the metal part of the scissors has to enter when opening/closing the sunroof. Since mine was broken, I had to manually align this hole & metal tab on the scissors.

Check for broken pieces of plastics/foreign objects along the track rail, with the sunroof at full open position. Also, compare left & right mechanism to see if there is something that doesn't look right. Move the sunroof back & forth while inspecting (I used my foot to push on the switch while inspecting the movement, be careful not to get yourself caught by the sunroof!). Be careful not to break the glass, I don't even want to know how much it is, the track rail is expensive enough!

Good luck.

JPN

Old 11-13-2006, 12:39 PM

So you don't have to take the glass out fully, it looks like to get to the whole track. That will make it a lot easier, 3 kids + glass on the ground = broken glass ($100 on E-bay). By the way, check there for parts, I've had a lot of luck there ($35.00 for an motorized antenae!)

Old 11-14-2006, 06:58 AM
JPN

Greetings from Chicagoland.

You can get a better look at the mechanism operation with the window out. The best way to inspect the operation is to remove the glass and see if right & left track mechanism work in harmony. If not, something is shot. It is easy to remove the glass, but PITA is when you put it back in because there is a slight adjustment as to eliminate the wind noise. The rear of the glass has to be slightly higher than the front.

Good luck and keep your kids away from the car when you do this.

JPN

Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 PM

OK. I did notice, that when it is opening, one side lifts part way, as though it was at the roof opening, and that that is when it reverses. Only one side lifts part way like that, and when it reverses, it drops down again. Are both sides supposed to lift early, or do they lift only when they are fully closed? When it does close fully (with manual help from me to prevent reversing) it goes into place, and seals nicely on its own. What can I do to fix this?

Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 AM
JPN

OK. I can only suggest that you remove the glass andinspect the item in the attached pic.

I assume one of the track rails may be shot, which is approx. $100 at a dealer and hard to find it at on-line vendors. To replace the track rail, I believe you'd have toremove much of the headliner and I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself.The sunroof mechanism is VERY heavy and it is a two-men job in my opinion.

Good luck,

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/F551753D4EDD4EF7A187ED3D14101606.jpg[/IMG]