Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

suspension, stuts and trailing arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension, stuts and trailing arm bushings

Going to change the front struts because one is knocking. Anything i should replace while I am at it?

Replacing rear trailing arm bushing, on one side, should I do both? I am also changing the shocks, what else should I be getting for the job?

Thanks
Dani G

Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an FCP suspension overhaul kit.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Would you recommend replacing the rear trailing arm link while I am replacing the rear trailing arm bushing kit? One of the bushing brackets has been broken for some time, do you think it could have worn out the link?

Rear Suspension Bushings

Is there alignment required after replacing these in the rear?

I will also be buying the following for the front, will i require an alignment immediately? Can I drive without one?

Volvo 850 S70 V70 Control Arms Tie Rods Mounts

thanks in advance, hope to place the order ASAP.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by grigalid
Would you recommend replacing the rear trailing arm link while I am replacing the rear trailing arm bushing kit? One of the bushing brackets has been broken for some time, do you think it could have worn out the link?

Rear Suspension Bushings

Is there alignment required after replacing these in the rear?

I will also be buying the following for the front, will i require an alignment immediately? Can I drive without one?

Volvo 850 S70 V70 Control Arms Tie Rods Mounts

thanks in advance, hope to place the order ASAP.
If it was me, I would not drive on it until you get an alignment, especially after replacing the tie rod ends. Your alignment will be way off. On that note, do you know how to replace the tie rod ends to retain as much of your alignment as possible?

And you can replace the rear delta links, but honestly, how many suspension overhauls have you done on these cars? Because unless you really know what you're doing, I don't think you know what you would be in for when replacing the rear delta links:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...?p=31294#31294

Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
If it was me, I would not drive on it until you get an alignment, especially after replacing the tie rod ends. Your alignment will be way off. On that note, do you know how to replace the tie rod ends to retain as much of your alignment as possible?

And you can replace the rear delta links, but honestly, how many suspension overhauls have you done on these cars? Because unless you really know what you're doing, I don't think you know what you would be in for when replacing the rear delta links:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...?p=31294#31294

OK so I have never done suspension work per say, but am very mechanically inclined and i am confident I can do most of the work. i know that doesn't mean much, as anyone could say that.

I will make an appointment at the local garage for an alignment, 5 kms away, when i do the job. I would assume that measuring them to a reference point will keep them somewhat aligned. Any other suggestions?

I knew i needed the adjustment for the front, but is there any adjustment in the back? I haven't read my Haynes yet, wish I had Vadis, see below.

I will inspect the delta links this weekend and see if they really need replacing, that does look like a pain.

i know the rear trailing arm bushings are also plenty of work, have you done these before? do you know of any good write ups? I tried downloading a Vadis program, to no avail, any good torrents you know of?

Thanks for the advice, always appreciated.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:38 PM

No, you count the turns on and off of the old onto the new inner tie rod ends.

Yes, they do four point alignments on these cars. Nothing you can really do yourself.

What do you mean write ups? I just posted one. I have VADIS, just have to download it. All I did was search for it. don't know the link anymore.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 PM

I meant more write ups, specifically for the rear trailing arm bushing replacement, no worries.

From what I understand they align the rear, then the front on these cars. Therefore I should get it all done at once rather then having to take it in twice.

Thanks for the help on this, greatly appreciated,

Dani