Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Sway bar end link failing??

Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway bar end link failing??

Would a failing sway bar end link cause a knock while turning and hitting a bump at the same time?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO it would need to be pretty loose. Like almost ready to pop apart loose. Usually it's more likely something in the strut, strut mount, spring or CV axle that would make that kind of noise.
Best to jack it up, put a stand under there and grab the parts and try to wiggle anything you can to find something with excessive play.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM

nothing wiggles the upper joint on the end link is looser then the lower

Last edited by 91shelby; 03-15-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post caught my eye....after reading the ipd catalog I have....They have replacement upper spring seats that they say can cause, clunk type noises.

ipd Heavy Duty Front Upper Spring Seat

they also sell stock models and a SACHS unit
Product Search

Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You really should NOT be able to move anything by hand. Nothing should move, click or anything like that by pulling or tugging on it. Sway bar end link wear is very common. On my cars the sway bar end link failure usually sounds like a baseball bouncing around in a metal bucket.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Like Rspi said, any play is too much play and you should replace the sway bar link and see if it takes care of your noise. Different parts react differently and the next logical part would be that upper strut mount or bearing plate. Try bouncing the car while it's on the ground to see if you can replicate the noise and compare the left and right side to see if there is a visual difference in the appearance of the upper strut mount.

First picture is the coil spring seat which is on top of the coil spring on the front strut and fits into the bottom of the strut mount. The coil spring seat is solid rubber with no moving parts but the upper strut mount or some times called the bearing plate has a bearing that allows the strut to turn left and right as you steer the car. It's been know to squeak as it's turned, knock as you hit a bump or cause uneven steering effort in one direction compared to the other or in both directions depending on how it's wearing out. It's a common wear point but from your description I wouldn't rule anything out yet including worn control arm bushings or maybe even the bushings that are supposed to hold the steering rack in place.

Attached Thumbnails Sway bar end link failing??-suspension-front-coil-spring-seat.jpg   Sway bar end link failing??-suspension-front-strut-mount.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 91shelby
Would a failing sway bar end link cause a knock while turning and hitting a bump at the same time?
Absolutely, it does not take much and it will clunk. Even if the nut is a bit loose it will do that. Your not going to be able to move it by hand. But, it could be the upper strut mount to so dont ignore the other comments. I just want to point out that I have seen/heard these links make noise when I thought they were tight but were not tight enough and bought another wagon that had the issue where they would only move under load.

With your car parked and in a quiet place rock it back and forth listening for the knock. Take a strong friend along with you to do the rocking while you listen. I have found many noises this way.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 PM

with the wheel of and wiggling around i cant get any play below the strut mount i can see some side to side play on top of the strut mount the spring seats are oem less then a year old but the strut mounts are non -oem less then a year old im starting to think the strut mount its bad since i can feel a kind of click when i shake the car side to side. i take back that the sway bar end link wiggles at all its tight.

Last edited by 91shelby; 03-15-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Administrator

My sway bar end links really didn't wiggle, they just clicked. Any movement at all in the end links or "clicking" when you jerk on them shows that they need to be replaced. If you twist on the wheel enough the top of the strut will move, that's ok, it is designed to turn.

Last edited by rspi; 03-16-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM

i know the top of the strut turns but with the car flat i can shake the car and feel it the mount itself wiggle/ click kinda side to side a lil

Last edited by 91shelby; 03-17-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 91shelby
i know it turns but car flat i can shake the car and feel it wiggle/ click kinda side to side a lil
It would be helpful if you went back and edited your last two posts and tried to clean them up so they are a bit more understandable.

I'm sorry but I can't really understand what you're saying.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Default Fix mine..

Funny thing is after reading this post, my car started making a bit of noise up front also.....I went to the wrecking yard today and picked up a good end link (The only one out of 6 cars, all the others had ripped boots) Before putting it on my car I checked mine, and it had a slight amount of play.

When I jacked up just the drivers side it put pressure on the link and sway bar, so I felt no play in it. When it was on the ground I could feel a bit of play. So when I jacked up the car to replace it, I jacked it up so both front tires were off the ground. Once the old one was out, I could feel a little movement. Kinda crazy how just a slight amount of play can make so much noise.

I put the good used one in and noise is gone..
I did clean it up...looks new.
Name:  IMAG2104.jpg
Views: 2652
Size:  76.2 KB
Name:  IMAG2105.jpg
Views: 3150
Size:  73.2 KB

Last edited by H5-850TurboWagon; 03-27-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Man, those things are to cheap to install used. Besides that, you are close to iPd, I would be there every day.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Default $ Cheap..

Lol....It was only like $5 and I was getting a few other things.(Driver door courtesy light, shift indicator bulb, glove box insert...Like $11 bucks for everything) So I grabbed it.
I have been unemployed so if I can save a buck or 2 it helps.

ipd's HD ones cost $59.00, not sure what stock ones cost.

I got this car after selling one of my Datsun 510 Wagons...the left over money I still need to do the timing belt for peace of mind. And that cost a few $$$ so I have to pinch pennies where I can..

Still waiting to find that ipd sway bar in the yard also... When I score one of those I will spring for new end links, because I will have saved all that extra cash.

Last edited by H5-850TurboWagon; 03-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Man, those things are to cheap to install used. Besides that, you are close to iPd, I would be there every day.

You call them and put it in "Will Call" and I will go pick it up....

I have been there twice this month for other things.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 PM

well i replaced my strut mount, and its still doing it wheel off nothing wiggles everything is tight... im stumped ..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Administrator

What's going on with your car?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 PM

ok when i go over a bump sometimes i feel kinda clunk back and forth only once and while is worse when turning left control arms are new OEM. Oem spring seats and strut mounts with IPD sway bar end links. everything feels tight. but feels like something wiggling up and down is worse when turning right.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Might be time to check the sway bar bushings and the mounts for the rack. Running out of things in the front end that could cause a problem like what you describe.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 AM

the sway bar bushings look pretty ragged and cracked. plus i noticed even after being aligned itll pull the right SOMETIMES

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sway bar end link failing??