Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Time for the Volvo's Surgury

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for the Volvo's Surgury

So the Yellow Submarine is finally going into the shop this week...i've ordered most of my parts for my transmission replacement project...which has now turned into a preventative maintenence extravaganza.

I figured that i'm going to replace all the engine seals (rear main, front crank seal, all 4 of the camshaft seals, oil pan seals)...and then other hardware i'm doing is the Water pump, timing belt tensioner and pulley, RH axle...oh yea, and the pesky transmission that's sitting in my garage.

So i was wondering if there is anything else i should do...but mainly woondering about special tools that i may need...mainly for the crank and camshaft seals. Do these just slide over the shaft or do they need a special tool that aligns or ensures they go in flat?

Thanks....and keep your fingers crossed for me

Old 09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Time for the Volvo's Surgury

You can just tap the seals in. There is really a special tool to do it but we don't have it at our shop. I usually tap them in with a really small hammer easily.

It would be nice if you could find and borrow a Cam lock tool to make sure the cams stay in position.

Sounds like you have most of the other stuff covered.

Are you doing the Auto trans or a 5 speed conversion?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM

I'm just doing an auto for another auto swap...would have loved to upgrade to a 5spd, but don't have the money for that job now.

So i've got the engine hoist setup in my garage now, and am going to buy some chain today. Do you know what points on the engine, subframe, or transmission that i could use as lift points?

I'm trying to figure out a few things
1)how to get the entire subframe/engine/trans/suspension.... assembly off of the trailer and onto the ground. Trailer has ramps, but i'm guessing it won't roll so easily as the trans will still be connected to the flywheel at that time. I was thinking of using the hoist/cherry picker to tryto lift up the assembly, then drive the trailer out from under it, then set it down onto a dolley and move it in my garage.

2) Where can i attach chains/hooks to on the transmission, so it will be supported as i remove the old one, and bolt the new trans in?

3) If i try to lift the engine for changing engine mounts or something, where is a good point to lift this...again either w/ chains or hooks? Would i need one of those load leveler bars to balance the load?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would lift the engine and move the trailer to get it out using the hoist.
Then I would lift the motor and trans off the subframe.
Then split the engine and trans.

There is one eyelet by the thernostat housing and one in the upper torque mount bracket.

You won't need the leveler bar just grab the chain in the middle with the hook from the hoist.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:55 PM

if you could post some pics that would be great, my main seal is leaking, and i'm just curious as to how much work is needed to replace it

Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: green850

if you could post some pics that would be great, my main seal is leaking, and i'm just curious as to how much work is needed to replace it
You can do it with removed H-frame

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 PM

so you are saying i can get to it without yanking the engine?