Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

timing belt replacemt - half a tooth off

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt replacemt - half a tooth off

well i managed to remove the timing belt and replace the pulleys (2) and dampener/tensioner BUT each time when I "finish" the timing belt is off by one half tooth on either a cam sprocket or the crank pulley

I have marked the cam sprockets and the crank shaft. They were already marked prior to me as well as the timing belt cover so the marks, all three, are spot on. Each time I get the belt on the crank pulley & cam sprockets (inteke or exhaust- it varies ) is off a slight bit on one. It's getting dark and my last attempt is HALF A TOOTH OFF on the intake sprocket.

I aligned the crank mark first to the mark on the block.(also checked to ensure #1 piston was at TDC). Crank is right on. THe exhaust sprocket is right on BUT the intake sprocket is one half tooth off. Not a whole tooth away but the mark is in a valley on the sprocket and the tooth immediately before it is aligned with the timng cover mark. BTW the cam sprocket mark is a half tooth clockwise away from the cover mark

So the relationship between the crank, exhaust sprocket and intake sprocket is half a tooth off on the intake sprocket. Half a tooth off...does this matter or is it "good enough". I haven't done a belt before so I'm unsure if this is okay or do I keep at it. When I strain to get the belt on the sprocket moves ever so slightly so when I check alignment somethings outa alignment.

It seems this should be okay but what do I know

What's your opinion? And have you done this before?

paul

Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: timing belt replacemt - half a tooth off

I had this same challenge on my 99 Mitsu Eclipse timing belt. After about five or six tries, I got it to fall into place. What I did was turn the pulley back a little bit (in your case a half tooth) and try to make it so that when it turned during the installation, it would fall into place. When I finally got it in place and perfectly aligned, I couldn't believe it and went back and forth checking all the marks over again.

I don't know for sure, but I was too scared to try it misaligned at all. I'm not sure how sensitive it is, but I do know that engine timing is critical to a good strong running engine. I'll let someone else tell you if a half a tooth is enough to cause problems.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2 tooth should not be a problem as far as I know..

Old 10-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had this issue on several different cars I have changed timing belts on. If I were you, what I would do is this. Put ittogether, and if it is still a half tooth off, just leave it that way and finish putting it all together. Then once it is together, put your socket (or box end wrench) on the crank pulley and turn the motor through at least three complete firing cycles (or at least 16 full revolutions of the crankshaft justto be sure). If the motor turns smoothly with no binding then you should be good to go. If the motor does bind, DON'T FORCE IT as you are most likely getting valve to piston contact and you need to re-investigate the timing.

By the way, if you follow this procedure, be sure to remove all the spark plugs to eliminate engine compression giving you a false indication of the motor binding due to valve/piston contact.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Glenn

Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: timing belt replacement - half a tooth off

Did you remove the hydraulic tensioner before the belt was installed? You should not have to strain the belt with the hydro tensioner off. Put the belt first and then put the hydro tensioner, at a locked position with an Allen key wrench. Then yankthekey wrenchout with a Vise grip. If you have done this and the engine is still a half tooth off, then follow everyone else's advice. I used both Haynes manual & a guide from Volvospeed:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php

FYI:
https://volvoforums.com/m_38764/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

I hope this gives you some hints.

JPN

Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: timing belt replacement - half a tooth off

Also sometimes the top cover shifts a little making it look 1/2 a tooth off.