Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

possible for cam to be off 1 tooth? 00 V70R

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible for cam to be off 1 tooth? 00 V70R

Hey folks,

I couldn't find this in the archives. 2000 V70R (2.4L HPT). Did the timing belt & tensioner today, was careful to check my marks on the crank, intake cam & exhaust cam (couldn't find a crank mark, so I made my own. Used the cam marks as pointing straight up with respect to the axis of the engine, which is toward the two little cutaways in the upper cover).

Put everything back together, manually rotated the engine to check for valve clearance, etc., and everything felt fine. Car started right up just fine.

Potential problem is that at wide open throttle at high RPMsthere is a little bit of pinging, whereas that did not happen with the old timing belt on there. I do run 87 octane in it, and today is hotter than normal, so I could be oversensitive.

Is it possible for either cam to be off by one tooth without interference, or throwing a code?

Does anyone have pictures of the proper alignment for a 2000 style car?

Again, I could be a little too sensitive to the normal sounds expected of 87 octane on a 90 degree day, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan C.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Default RE: possible for cam to be off 1 tooth? 00 V70R

Found a nice reference, thought I'd share.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...placement2.pdf

Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is possible to be off. I would recheck all your marks.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanks tech.

OK, moved it over one tooth on the crank. There's more power now, but still some pinging over 5k RPM.

On the crank sprocket, there are actually two little cutouts on the peaks of the teeth - I'll refer to them as toward the front of the car and toward the back of the car, if you can visualize it that way. The way it was an hour or so ago, the little nubby on the oil pump (on the far left side of the sticky-outey thing) was lined up with the "back" crank sprocket marker. Now, it's lined up with the "front" crank sprocket marker.

How is it supposed to be? Should the proper alignment correspond to #1 TDC?

I'm actually wondering if the cam timing has been off since I've owned the car. I've had it since 113k miles (it's at 125k now), and the timing belt was showing just a little bit of cracking. I suspect it was on it's second timing belt already, I've probably just put the third one on. On the highway at 70mph I'd get about 22mpg.It's fairly consistently given me the "catalyst inefficient" code (144, if I remember it right), I wonder if that could be tripped if the V.E. is off due to cam timing.

Thanks again, tech. Any other hints would be appreciated.

-Dan C.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is has the 2 cuts on the back side of the crank pulley the line needs to be between both the marks.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM

I'm in the process of building a second motor for my 98 V70 T5, and just last week put the t-belt on. Everything was very easy for me to see, because the motor is on a stand. I verified that at TDC, the 'back' small groove in the crank pulley lines up with the mark on the oil pump. The first time I installed, and then rotated the motor two full turns, the crank mark was off by one tooth when the cams came back into alignment with their respective marks on the top cover. I had to lock the cams, and 'bounce' the crank back one tooth over the belt. Now they all line up correctly after rotation. Haven't started the engine yet, because it won't be installed until August 11. Hope this helps a bit.