Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Timing question... Just installed N/A Cams..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing question... Just installed N/A Cams..

So I decided to pull my head off to do the valve stem seals.

While I had the head off I Blueprinted it, Ported and Polished, new lifters, Lapped the valves, and installed the N/A cams. ( done all by myself )took me a damn week!!

Everything is back together, and im going to put the intake manifold back on and get it ready for its first start tomorrow, and I had a quick queaton about my timing.
Ive done the T-Belt on this car 4 times but have never had to set the timing, its straight forward but.... do the N/A Cams change anything?
I aligned the crank notch to the line on the block (TDC), and I aligned the cam marks to the v-notches in the timing cover. It should be correct right?

I guess my question is do the N/A cams change the timing mark alignment?
I know it sounds stupid but id hate to screw up all my hard work...

Last edited by MattyXXL; 07-06-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for baseline, put the cams in the exact same as you would if they were the stock cams. If you're running a tune, you'll want to run the intake cam 2 degrees retarded and exhaust cam advanced 2 degrees. fortunately, you have adjustment in the stock cam gears.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 AM

Copy that.... Should I wait till my break in period for the head is over before I adjust the timing?
Im planning on atleast 100 miles before I start to open it up..

Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know that you'll need much of a breakin period on things, but if it makes you feel safer to do so, knock yourself out. I'd leave the timing stock until you open it up. Then you can screw with your timing a bit after you open it up. the "butt dyno" can help you out here. FWIW: I left mine at stock timing - I dont plan on fooling with it until i get a tune.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
So I decided to pull my head off to do the valve stem seals.

While I had the head off I Blueprinted it, Ported and Polished, new lifters, Lapped the valves, and installed the N/A cams. ( done all by myself )took me a damn week!!

Everything is back together, and im going to put the intake manifold back on and get it ready for its first start tomorrow, and I had a quick queaton about my timing.
Ive done the T-Belt on this car 4 times but have never had to set the timing, its straight forward but.... do the N/A Cams change anything?
I aligned the crank notch to the line on the block (TDC), and I aligned the cam marks to the v-notches in the timing cover. It should be correct right?

I guess my question is do the N/A cams change the timing mark alignment?
I know it sounds stupid but id hate to screw up all my hard work...
NO. Do not use the notches on the t-belt cover to put the cams in time. For all you know the PO could have moved the gears around when they were working on their car and those timing notches won't mean jack ****. Remove the cap/rotor and the CPS, cams on the block the correct way (I believe lobes should be down on cylinder 1), make sure your using the notch on the backside of the crank pulley or the "V" that is cut into the gear on the crank and not the notches on the top of the crank pulley.

Get the crank TDC (remember, the crank spins two times per one cam spin, so you need to make sure you're at true TDC with the crank), then get the cams installed correctly, start tigtening down the cam cover while the entire time MAKING SURE THE SLOTS ON THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE CAMS ARE PARALLEL WITH THE BLOCK. Once you have the cam cover tightened down do any final tweaking to make sure the cam slots are completely parallel, they will be at TDC that way, the notches on the gears should also be close to the notches on the t-belt cover, if they're not, loosen the cam gears and align them. Now put the belt back on and do one more check to make sure the cam slots are perfectly parallel.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Gotcha... Its raining again so I probably wont get to it today, but I will do what you said and let you know how it turns out