Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Transmission acts weird after long drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission acts weird after long drive

Hi, recently I've noticed that after drive that is at least 40-50 miles my transmission starts to act strange. It will generally take off from a stop fine and shift into second but when it gets ready to shift into third (about 2500 rpm in econ) it hesitates for a moment and then just keeps on going up in rpm until it reaches about 4000 or 5000 and then it will do a hard shift. Sometimes using sport mode can solve the problem sometimes by driving it creatively.

Another thing is that when I let my foot off the pedal, depending on what gear it's in and the rpm it feels like I put on the breaks, sometimes this ends when the transmission downshifts which causes a sudden lurch forward and smooth coasting.

My transmission fluid looks pretty good and I just replaced all the vacuum lines to because they looked cracked and I thought it might help this, it didn't. The problem happens a lot more when it is hot outside (85+ F).

Anyway thanks for reading, hope someone has some input on this I'm not finding too much about it around.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Is the fluid level correct? When was the fluid last changed? Do you have a CEL? Do you have a flashing arrow?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Ditto.... Also, it might not hurt to change the fluid, fill to the correct level and go from there.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM

The fluid level is correct however it has not been changed in about 10k miles. I'll try changing it and see what happens. The transmission arrow isn't on on the dash or flashing.

Edit:

If you mean check engine light by CEL, then no that's not on, however I do have a service light that comes on for the first few minutes after starting the car.

Last edited by tobolate; 08-29-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 PM

did you come right with this?

Was a change in fluid all you needed?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tobolate
The fluid level is correct however it has not been changed in about 10k miles. I'll try changing it and see what happens. The transmission arrow isn't on on the dash or flashing.

Edit:

If you mean check engine light by CEL, then no that's not on, however I do have a service light that comes on for the first few minutes after starting the car.
who knows may be the person who serviced the transmission did not use the right fluid 10k miles ago and now acting up.flush the fluid all the way out with a fresh synthetic fluid and get back to us.good luck brother

Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Hey sorry for the delay and for bumping this thread. I was on starting a new job and there was a lot of training. When I get my first paycheck I'll have enough money to do the fluid swap and I will let you guys know if it helps, although it's cooled down significantly here and it hasn't been doing it.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Mine does something similar. When starting from a stop light, I press the gas pedal and it revs up but doesn' t go anywhere, after approx. 2 seconds it will "pop" into gear and go. I've done the fluid flush and nothing changed. I'm going to start replacing other things on the trans to see what I can find out.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by twiin64
Mine does something similar. When starting from a stop light, I press the gas pedal and it revs up but doesn' t go anywhere, after approx. 2 seconds it will "pop" into gear and go. I've done the fluid flush and nothing changed. I'm going to start replacing other things on the trans to see what I can find out.

Mine's not doing this really, it immediately reacts to the pedal and it doesn't ever "pop" into gear. I believe I saw a thread a little while about a similar problem to your's though. Let me check around to see if I can find it.