Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

transmission application

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission application

I have a 94, 850 turbo, it has an auto trans, I want to get a new trans because mine has a "bumpy first to second shift" (Don't tell me flush the fluid or ad Lucas Tranny Fix, I did it three times. I believe it's broken spring in the accumulator but thats only my guess. No slippage or other symptoms, when I use winter mode (second gear starts) the problem disappears.

I recently found a tranny from a 95 850, that has less miles and I have been told is problem free. It has exactly the same numbers on the tranny case tag as mine and the TCM is numbered 8.2 just like mine however there are few different numbers on the TCM. The engine that this tranny was mated to has exactly the same ECM every number is the exact same.

My question is will this 95 tranny work with my engine? Although both TCMs are numbered 8.2 what do the different smaller numbers mean if anything?

I am assuming that this shift problem is rooted in the valve body that can be accessed through the solenoid cover, that can be done without removing the transmission. Could I just swap the valve bodies out and fix the problem without all that awful work of pulling the trans? Or isnt there enough clearance to get the whole valve body out?

The guy will sell me the engine and trans for $550 with supposedly 103k my motor runs great with 136k but has a noisy lifter in the AM but it goes away after the motor warms. I have been told that these motors can run forever with noisy lifters? I was thinking about just swapping both the motor and trans as a unit but I dont want to do all that work and I am not sure about the trans as mentioned before.

I have read that you can use later model transmissions but the speed sensors on the trans won't match but can rigged somehow, is that right?

Last edited by bostongrun; 04-21-2011 at 09:12 PM.