Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Trip Computer vs. Clock & Temp

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip Computer vs. Clock & Temp

My '95 850 Wagon GLT has a clock and temperature display on the instrument panel. I know there's a trip computer option - hell, my owners manual even describes its functions.

3 Questions...

1. Can I replace mine with a trip computer and switch? (I do have open switch spots).

2. Are all the models wired up for the trip computer? - I just need to plug it in?

3. How can I tell the difference between the two types of displays when the car is say...in a junk yard? Obviously I can't turn it on and check it out, and it appears to me that when 'OFF' they appear to be the same display.

Anyone thought about it? Or tried it? Sure would be a cool upgrade - and while i'm there I can replace all the lights in the instrument panel.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trip Computer vs. Clock & Temp

it was either on this board or another where someone just bought the switch and display and installed them. The trip computer display is wider.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Are you sure it's wider?

It wouldn't make sense that if it were - because then if you just plugged it in you'd have to "widen" the window of the instrument panel - which shouldn't be the case.

I know that in the black and white photos of the manual it looks like it's smaller- but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The part for both computers has the same outside dimensions. The window itself on the parts is different. I'm about 99% sure.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can buy the switch and display and install it and you should be fine.
I have done one conversion with no trouble.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 PM

If you're at the junkyard, I would think if the dash has the appropriate switch then you're probably pretty safe to assume that the trip computer is in the dash waiting for you to pull it out.

... Tech, do you know if that would work on my 93? Was it an option then?

...and this is the link to the post explaining that whole swap... the pictures in the subsequent link make up for the unknown language it was written in... https://volvoforums.com/m_44098/tm.htm

Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Im not sure if it was an option for the 1993's.
If you have the wiring it would be behind the block off plates.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:31 AM

Tech! Please help me!

You said you've made a conversion before without problem - what did you do about the obvious difference in connection?

Stock one has a large green connection - the new trip computer has a pig tail coming out of it.

Problem there.

PLEASE HELP - I WANT TO GET THIS THING IN MY CAR!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Ok, called my local Volvo dealership today and found out the part I need for my 1995 Volvo 850 Wagon with the Yazaki cluster - talking about the trip computer that is.

The old part number is: 9148574
The new part number is: 9442047

I guess they are both interchangeable it's just that one was catalogued a while ago and the other was more recent. Apparently it's still "available" from Volvo but on backorder with no ETA. So that basically means that I could be waiting forever to get one and it's just a matter of time until they discontinue it anyway - plus the entire kit (which is part #9166689) is $459.67 - so that's not really going to happen.

So I guess i'll have to keep my eye out for that part number.... which is probably going to be a PITA.

Anyone sellin' ? Or know where I can find one?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Hey,
I was the one that wrote the original post asking the question about the conversion. In my case the previous owner had the odometer die and some guy put in a new cluster that had the trip display already in it. With no switch or cable it just read DISC all the time and there was no temp or clock then. I got the switch and cable to the display from Crystal over at Swedish Engineering for less than $40 as I recall. Do you or have you already purchased the display that goes into the cluster. It does in fact have a bigger display surface than the temp/time one but is the same size physically. You basically need the display to install into your gauge cluster, the info switch, and the cable to go from the switch to the display. I would be willing to bet Crystal has the displays if you tell her what you need. They are a used Volvo parts place. It would be much cheaper than $467. If you still have the original temp/time display in there then that is where the cable mismatch is coming into play. It has been a while since I did it but it was pretty much plug and play with those three parts.

Rob

Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 PM

Rob,

Thanks for your comments. I'll check with her and see if she can help me find the display I need. I think what i've run into is that i'm looking for one of the most rare ones.

Apparently the 850's came with 2 different types of clusters - VDO and Yazaki. I'm no expert but through my research so far I believe the VDO use the pigtail adapter, and the Yazaki uses a large green connector. So I need to find one with 2 green connectors on the back - one for the instrument cluster, and one for the switch.

The one I picked up has the green one for the switch, but has the pigtail - and that's not going to work for my instrument cluster. UGH! I JUST WANT THE TRIP COMPUTER!

But i'll call Crystal - it's unlikely that they'll have the display (I assuming it's unlikely) but i'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:03 PM

For the past few years that I've owned my 93 I've always wondered if this was possible as I've seen the computers pop up on ebay once a blue moon... Any luck with it???

Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 AM

Ok, found it!!!

For the 1995 Volvo 850 with Yazaki cluster.... if you have the green socket on the back of your instrument panel you'll need this trip computer (along with the switch).

p/n: 9148574

Name:  volvotrip1.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  volvotrip2.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  14.7 KB