Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Trying to get back in an 850 (advice needed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, if you want a '95 T-5R there are NOT a lot of options out there. I have not run a VIN check but from the little I do see it doesn't seem out of line.

KBB is not a good source for pricing of any specialty car that is not reconized as such in the real world. The '95 T-5R's have a special pull since they are the first R run and I have seen the yellow sedans sell for more than $8,000 with work needed. I sold a yellow sedan for $5,900 about 2 years ago. It didn't have the R front lower bumper, had Volans instead of the Titans, and a discolored door. Other than that it was in good shape. The lady that purchased it only put gas in it and now the car is in better hands.

I guess it's worth what someone would pay for it. A modded car is worth more to someone than a stock one. I'd rather have a stock one.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Well, if you want a '95 T-5R there are NOT a lot of options out there. I have not run a VIN check but from the little I do see it doesn't seem out of line.

KBB is not a good source for pricing of any specialty car that is not reconized as such in the real world. The '95 T-5R's have a special pull since they are the first R run and I have seen the yellow sedans sell for more than $8,000 with work needed. I sold a yellow sedan for $5,900 about 2 years ago. It didn't have the R front lower bumper, had Volans instead of the Titans, and a discolored door. Other than that it was in good shape. The lady that purchased it only put gas in it and now the car is in better hands.

I guess it's worth what someone would pay for it. A modded car is worth more to someone than a stock one. I'd rather have a stock one.
I think $6300 for any car that KBBs at $3700 AND is burning 3 quarts of oil between changes is a little out of line regardless of rarity.

His new asking price of $4500 is a little bit more fair but I still don't think it's worth it. Maybe the rare yellow color is enough to persuade another buyer but for me it is not.

A modded car is worth more in the owner's eyes but on the market, it doesn't mean a thing. I think most people who know what they are doing when buying would stay away from a heavily modded car. You have no idea what parts the owner installed himself (and if he did it correctly) and you can pretty much assume he drove it rougher than grandpa would.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Administrator

LOL, I feel the same way about mods.

I didn't realize the car was going through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Mine uses about 1 quart ever 5,000. I have 235,000 and recently sent a sample to BlackStone Labs and they said I had one of the cleanest oil samples of my class that they have ever seen. So miles doesn't bother me, just condition and upkeep.

If I were to put my car up for sale today I don't think I would ask less than $8,000 and doubt if I would take much less than that.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 AM

My favorite part about the whole ordeal is when he claimed to be a master Volvo mechanic and "knows more about these cars than just about anyone" yet he claims burning 1 qt. every 1,000 miles is normal for a car of this age. I hope my Volvo mechanic doesn't share that same opinion.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Saleen9090
Turns out this guy is clinically insane. He is unwilling to budge from the $5800 price tag he has it set at. KBB for this car is $3900 in EXCELLENT condition.
Please be aware KBB & NADA are ONLY used as a guideline for value.

How many miles did the T-5R have? I personally have turned down an offer of $8k for my T-5R and I've never advertised mine. If your not willing to pay the price for a clean, well-loved T-5R, you should start looking for either 850R or 850 T5.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have. With all my research, I would consider myself to have a PHD in T-5R's, 850R and T5

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by T5-Rennen
Please be aware KBB & NADA are ONLY used as a guideline for value.

How many miles did the T-5R have? I personally have turned down an offer of $8k for my T-5R and I've never advertised mine. If your not willing to pay the price for a clean, well-loved T-5R, you should start looking for either 850R or 850 T5.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have. With all my research, I would consider myself to have a PHD in T-5R's, 850R and T5

Good luck!
Here is a good question. What does everyone think of this deal? Owner said timing belt was done at 100 k miles in 2010 and it is currently at 148,000. KBB is $2700 for good condition and the guy and I have agreed to $2500 assuming the test drive goes smoothly. I have been looking on Craigslist for 2 months and this is by far he cleanest interior/exterior I have seen. My brother said that he read the turbos on these cars are usually only good up to 150k miles until they start leaking oil like crazy and become misaligned. How many people have exceeded 200k on stock turbo? Thanks in advance everyone!!!!

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo

Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Here is a good question. What does everyone think of this deal?
Wow, that appears to be an incredible price and it's been loved!

Just from the pictures, you will need to replace the transmission torque mount bushing. As per your brothers comment on the turbo, the answer is it "depends".

I personally hate that answer but its combination of oil quality (synthetic) used and the frequency it was changed.

To rebuild a turbo, your looking at approx $400 and its easy

Plan on doing the following:
1. FlameTrap (approx every 100k miles)
2. Stage 0 tune up

Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Here is a good question. What does everyone think of this deal? Owner said timing belt was done at 100 k miles in 2010 and it is currently at 148,000. KBB is $2700 for good condition and the guy and I have agreed to $2500 assuming the test drive goes smoothly. I have been looking on Craigslist for 2 months and this is by far he cleanest interior/exterior I have seen. My brother said that he read the turbos on these cars are usually only good up to 150k miles until they start leaking oil like crazy and become misaligned. How many people have exceeded 200k on stock turbo? Thanks in advance everyone!!!!

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
I really don't know why you are asking this question when you had 1st hand ownership of an turbo 850 in the past. Which wasn't that long ago.

To be frank with you, I can get a YELLOW T-5R for $500 right now, turn the key and drive the car off. Yes, it needs some work but heck, for $500, I would only make money. (Anyone wanting in on this deal can contact me).

These turbo's can last 250,000 if properly maintained. That would include someone respecting the fact that the darn car has a turbo.

Here are a couple of video's which represent my opinion:

Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
II can get a YELLOW T-5R for $500 right now, turn the key and drive the car off.
I just sent you a PM

Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 PM

I had never seen those video before. That guy pretty much lays it out for all of us. I did recently own an 850 about 4 years ago but my brother did alot of the maintenance for me and I know he now hates the model because of it. as mentioned in the video, there are a lot of expensive repairs that are a must to keep the car running.

Also good news was the carfax showed the car had 119,000 miles in 2005. That was the last mileage update. If the guy had the timing belt done in 2010 (he has the service record in hand) then there is a good chance the timing belt still has at least 40k miles left on it. Yay!

And how about the hot topic a switching an old car from conventional to full synthetic late in its life? This has been debated for ages. I run full synthetic in my 2006 S60R and always will and I would like to run full synthetic in the 850. Only thing stopping me would be the debate that changing over to full synthetic at an old age can actually promote leaks. Your thoughts?

Now put yourself in my shoes. What would you do? I have a 99 Taurus that has been good to me and had required only schedule maintenance. It has 150k miles right now (much like the Volvo) and the transmission has felt funny since 80k but it just won't give up. If I bought the Volvo for $2500 and sold the Taurus for $1500 (likely scenario), I would basically be out $1000 in the end. Like I said, my brother has a bad history with our old 850 and thinks I'm absolutely crazy to be considering this swap. I want something that is a little more fun to drive, more luxurious, and more stylish which is why I am considering the swap. Both have the same chance of needing repairs in the future but the Taurus would obviously be much cheaper repairs. See my conundrum?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM

And how about the hot topic a switching an old car from conventional to full synthetic late in its life?
When I purchased my T-5R, all the oil changes were done with conventional oil. The day I purchased the car, I changed to synthetic oil with zero oil leaks occuring. However, I did the same thing with my son's BMW 318TI and it leaked like a beached oil tanker.

I have a large collection of cars (muscle, rally, exotic & euro) and I can tell you the 850 T-5R / R / T5 is the best everyday driver you can purchase for under $10k !!!!

With that being stated, a used car is a used car. You need to expect repairs but everything is easy not to mention you have a rock star group on this site

I hope this help

Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by T5-Rennen
When I purchased my T-5R, all the oil changes were done with conventional oil. The day I purchased the car, I changed to synthetic oil with zero oil leaks occuring. However, I did the same thing with my son's BMW 318TI and it leaked like a beached oil tanker.

I have a large collection of cars (muscle, rally, exotic & euro) and I can tell you the 850 T-5R / R / T5 is the best everyday driver you can purchase for under $10k !!!!

With that being stated, a used car is a used car. You need to expect repairs but everything is easy not to mention you have a rock star group on this site

I hope this help
Now I am starting to wonder if I missed the car or the community. You guys have been excellent to me.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Administrator

For starters, the folks here are incredible. I have taken the information here and put it to Video. I probability should have started a new channel and called it "VolvoForums Videos". Without this sits I'd still be graming around in my wonderful 960.

As for the "switch", my wagon had 188,000 on it 2 years ago when I switched AFTER I replaced the PCV. Not 1 drop of oil 45,000 miles later (the oily substance under my car is the power steering rack leaking 4 oz per week).

The best thing about that car you are looking at is the thing is a '95 and you can pull the exact mileage.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Old 11-26-2013, 08:26 PM

hi t5-rennen;

have you decided to sell it?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Now put yourself in my shoes. What would you do? I have a 99 Taurus

Sell it or shoot myself.

The turbos on these cars aren't bad at all to rebuild. If you've rebuilt an alternator (and it worked after) you can likely do a turbo. Or you can have one of us do it for you.