Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Unusual Issue with fuel pump fuse...Need any advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Unusual Issue with fuel pump fuse...Need any advice

Today after work, I turn my car on to go home and only managed to drive about 100 feet before my car stalled out. Luckly this happen the parking lot and not on the highway.

When I check the fuel pump fuse on slot 2 for fuel pump in the fuse box, the center wire on the blue 15A relay was burnt or split. So...I replaced with another 15A fuse. The car turn over fine then stalled out after 10 seconds. I thought it was the battery is low or old as my battery reader shows low voltage(bought a Bosch battery 3 years ago...batteries in Texas don't last real long...no more than 4 years to due to constant humidity and heat nearly all year around.) So Just bought a new battery to be on safe side.

Went back to install new battery, car turns over and on but still stalled out in about 5 seconds after car turns over successfully.

I thought it might be the red fuel pump relay. I had a spare and replaced the red fuel pump relay only to experience the same burning out of 15a fuse.

What did the trick was I REPLACED the blue 15A fuse with a red 25A fuse after I burnt the forth 15A relay. The car turn over normal and I was able to drive home safely.

My best guess is I must have some type of wiring/electrical issue that cause my the fuel pump fuse to burn out quickly and stalls the car out. The car drives normal for now but the fuel pump priming before turning ignition on makes a deep gargley noise rather than the normal buzz noise when you prime the fuel pump on the key power mode before turning the key on.

At this point I don't know what to do to fix this. The car will drive normally for now but I don't want to be using a higher volt 25A fuse for a 15A fuse for the fuel pump. S\

Starter, new battery, Alternator, the fuel pump works. I WAS ABLE to drive home normal as stated above. I will load a picture of the four burnt 15a relays. Has anyone encounter this problem before?

Any advice on how to solve this burning fuel relay/stalling out mystery will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Galaxy850Sunny; 10-29-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First off, PLEASE DO NOT continue to use a 25 amp fuse in place of the 15A. You obviousy have an issue that is causing increased curent draw. The 15A fuse is blowing because that is what it is supposed to do in a high curent draw situation. By using a higher amp fuse you are defeating the safety purpose of the fuse blowing, and are seriousy risking an electrical fire in your car!

Now to the problem. I'm 99% sure you have a fuel pump that is on its last legs. Obviously the relay is good, but from what you said about the sound of the pump, as well as the issue of the increased current draw causing the fuses to blow. I'm betting your fuel pump is starting to fail and is retty close to siezing up entirely. When it does that it will draw a LOT of current, and hopefully the fuse will blow before the wiring starts to catch fire.

Try a new fuel pump, and get that damn 25 aAfuse out of there and put the proper one back in!

Glenn

Old 10-30-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Replaced fuel pump and now it works

I just finished replacing the fuel pump with my old one that still works. I also replaced the fuse with the correct 15A fuse. Now the fuel pump priming sounds good and the car starts up normal.

Thank you Psaboic!

...On a side note, I seem to have damaged the lift arm of the trunk? It closes too fast and when up, the slightest touch knocks it down very fast. Always something with the 850.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

yep, as some pumps wear out they start drawing too much current. Glad you were able to sort that back to normal. In terms of the trunk, do you have a wagon or sedan? On the wagons those damper pistons do wear out (easy fix). The sedans have a gas spring as well, check out part # 3509350

Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Galaxy850Sunny
What did the trick was I REPLACED the blue 15A fuse with a red 25A fuse after I burnt the forth 15A relay. The car turn over normal and I was able to drive home safely.
FYI: Don't ever do that again. What you did was supply more current to a circuit that was designed to handle 15A. You're actually lucky you didn't end up like this..