Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Update on fuel tank leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on fuel tank leak

I got the call this morning, Volvo is going to replace the tank under recall. Says may need to replace one of the fuel lines as they tend to come apart with age. They suggested changing the serpentine belt as well. Is that an easy DIY or better to let them do it?

Last edited by mikesvagen; 01-22-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hardest part for me was getting the tensioner retracted to get the old one out and the new one in. If you have the Volvo tool it's a piece of cake. If you have an aftermarket tensioner it's also an easy deal. The stock tensioner has a hole just a hair under 3/4" in the center of the spring for you to get a hold of it and retract. On the aftermarket one there is a standard square hole for a 1/2" breaker bar or one of the serpentine belt kits the auto parts stores loan out. The hard way is to use a pry bar on it. Have to be careful not to catch a finger in there when it slips

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/serpentine_belt.php

The tool on Ebay from "tools-world". You can search tools-world if the link expires.
Volvo Serpentine Belt Tool 4708 | eBay

I think RSPI has a tool for sale. He had them made and you can use it with an adjustable wrench or open/box wrench. It's the little block in yellow.

Attached Thumbnails Update on fuel tank leak-serpentine-belt-routing.jpg   Update on fuel tank leak-serpentine-belt-tool-rspi.jpg   Update on fuel tank leak-serpentine-belt-tensioner-half-drive.jpg   Update on fuel tank leak-serpentine-belt-tool-adjustable.jpg   Update on fuel tank leak-serpentine_belt_tool.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-21-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM

Doesn't look too bad, I am pretty sure i can handle that.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM

3 quarters always worked for me, until I got the tool made

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In addition to other posts note that the length of the belt has changed since the original and routing has changed to accommodate it. IPD made a .pdf for it, attached.

Congrats on getting volvo to get you a new tank (as they should).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
850SerpBeltRouting004.pdf (14.7 KB, 592 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Well after following up with the dealer today I will definately be doing the belt at home. $150.00 to replace a belt?? I dont think so on principal alone...
Anyway ordered the new belt should be here by Friday.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Whats the story on the tank?

You should definitely replace the hoses on top of the tank if they do replace it. There is one hose that is notorious for splitting. You have to drop the tank to replace it.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Car is ready for pickup. Service Manager says the hose on there looks like it was replaced at some point says he did not see the point in changing it. So I will pick it up tonight 0 charge. Man that shounds so sweet 0 charge....

Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesvagen
Well after following up with the dealer today I will definately be doing the belt at home. $150.00 to replace a belt?? I dont think so on principal alone...
You have to remember that going to the restaurant is always more expensive than buying that dinner at the grocery store.

I'm one of those guys that charge you an arm and a leg but it's my skin that's getting cut or burnt, I have to buy the special tools and I need to pay for the place I'm working in while you get to sit on your butt and watch the game. The other advantage to paying for it is it's me that is going to stand behind it (or should) if something goes wrong. Now to be fair there are times I've seen an estimate or bill that looked more like rape and less like fair compensation.

That's the reason I gave the opinion that you should take it in and they likely would cover the warranty. My way of looking at it is you should have had it towed in immediately if you had any kind of fuel leak. That's in a perfect world. Then there is someone trying to temporarily stop the leak so they can safely drive it in. That's reasonable and I would put you in that category and hopefully you'd make your story to the service advisor match that situation.

If it was me, as long as you didn't cause the damage or cause further damage I'd cover it since I'm getting paid for it from the manufacturer. I'm not getting paid fully as warranty work is paid at a discount but it's covering my costs and I have a happy customer who is likely to come back because the experience went smoothly and they got something for free.

The rub is if the dealer is busy then it's a job that pays less. If the service advisor is paid on commission he's paid less. This is where you can get someone who is less interested in "helping" you out and sees that temporary repair as a bargaining chip or an excuse to refuse you the repair under warranty. It's pretty discretionary.

What you need to keep in mind is that the basic person wants to be helpful and when they are being difficult you need to find a way to help them help you. I know that line is from a movie but I use that in my dealings with retail and it works. Especially if it's warranty stuff because the person you are talking to in almost all cases isn't affected by you getting a new one free. That being said it's still their job to sell so you have to look out for the add on.
Glad you're leak free with your new tank

Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
You have to remember that going to the restaurant is always more expensive than buying that dinner at the grocery store.

I'm one of those guys that charge you an arm and a leg but it's my skin that's getting cut or burnt, I have to buy the special tools and I need to pay for the place I'm working in while you get to sit on your butt and watch the game. The other advantage to paying for it is it's me that is going to stand behind it (or should) if something goes wrong. Now to be fair there are times I've seen an estimate or bill that looked more like rape and less like fair compensation.

That's the reason I gave the opinion that you should take it in and they likely would cover the warranty. My way of looking at it is you should have had it towed in immediately if you had any kind of fuel leak. That's in a perfect world. Then there is someone trying to temporarily stop the leak so they can safely drive it in. That's reasonable and I would put you in that category and hopefully you'd make your story to the service advisor match that situation.

If it was me, as long as you didn't cause the damage or cause further damage I'd cover it since I'm getting paid for it from the manufacturer. I'm not getting paid fully as warranty work is paid at a discount but it's covering my costs and I have a happy customer who is likely to come back because the experience went smoothly and they got something for free.

The rub is if the dealer is busy then it's a job that pays less. If the service advisor is paid on commission he's paid less. This is where you can get someone who is less interested in "helping" you out and sees that temporary repair as a bargaining chip or an excuse to refuse you the repair under warranty. It's pretty discretionary.

What you need to keep in mind is that the basic person wants to be helpful and when they are being difficult you need to find a way to help them help you. I know that line is from a movie but I use that in my dealings with retail and it works. Especially if it's warranty stuff because the person you are talking to in almost all cases isn't affected by you getting a new one free. That being said it's still their job to sell so you have to look out for the add on.
Glad you're leak free with your new tank

I don't begrudge the dealership or any shop what they charge, like you point out tools, time, education, rent, skin all come at a cost. Speaking for myself only; If I cannot change a belt its time to pack it in... In all fairness to the dealer they were great I have no complaints, they even sent me email updates along the way. I would recommend them to anyone based on the few experiences I have had with them in the past.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Changed the serpentine belt today took a total of 15 minutes. The shop was not B.S ing the old belt was cracked to hell. I used a large pair of channel locks to move the tensioner and an allen key to lock it open. Glad I got this one under my belt (so to speak) all the write-ups I read made it sound a hell of a lot worse than it is.