Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Update on "pearls" surgery

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update on "pearls" surgery

well as of today i have finished the rebuild of the engine - as i had suspected would happen upon first try to start the car after 4 minutes of priming she didnt want to start - seemed to be a dead battery- well after a bit of testing and reading, i removed the fuse from the immobiliser - within 20 seconds or should i say first hit from the starter she fired - died - fired - died -and so on for about 5 minutes of mosquito killing smoke - then all of a sudden coff- coff -pop!, she fired up --SHES ALIVE!!!!
FOUND A LEAK IN THE TURBO and TURBO OIL RETURN LINE - THE TOP INTAKE FROM INTERCOOLER HAS GOT OIL IN IT -the other thing is the water pump got i bit of a drip from the freeze plug - soooo i gotta get a new waterpump and a turbo rebuild kit --- SH*@--- just when i thought it was all done -- i even took apart the abs black box before i was done and did a whole lot of soldering - every joint was broken - which accounts for the whole dash lighting up like and x-mas tree-- ANY WAY I WILL KEEP YOU ALL PASTED
THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP - AGAIN
YOU WERE ALL SOOO HELPFUL!
I HOPE THAT SOME HOW ALONG THE WAY I MAY BE AS HELPFUL TO SOMEONE DOING THE SAME TYPE OF REPAIRS I JUST FINISHED

Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your rebuilding the turbo yourself, it would probably be wise to get it balanced by a professional when you're all done.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad to hear it cam alive.

Did you drive it?
Normally it will not leak oil form the return just under idle. Also double check the bango bolts holding the oil line to the turbo. If one worked loose somehow it will leak oil.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THE OIL IS LEAKING from the oil return line into the block - i figured out why -- i forgot to put in the new seal "duuuh"-- its ok now but still getting oil in turbo "ick its pull and rebuild time i guess-- my other thing is that my exhaust smells awfully rich -not coolant or oil - like unburnt fuel - i assume that would be because the plugs are not correctly gapped or im using the wrong plugs - would i be correct in my assumption?? im using bosch "plat+2" at the moment -the same type i took out - my other question is i let the car sit and idle for about 5 minutes but the coolant seems to still be cold-- is that because i've not run the car hard enough to heat the coolant to a point to get the thermostat to open - that also i would assume to be correct - but please somebody correct me if im wrong - i think i might pull the thermostat and boil it just to make sure its working ok- car seems to be ok immediate start when i turn the key i guess thats a good sign

Last edited by radio16; 01-06-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: missed info and spelling correction
Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

How much oil in the turbo? The turbo's will always have a slight bit of oil in the tubes.

It might be as simple as a vacuum leak.

I would check the thermostat it might not be opening or broke.