Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Is a used Volvo 850 a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a used Volvo 850 a good choice?

Hello all,

I am considering buying a used 1993 Volvo 850 GLT. It has 104,000 miles on it,but seems to be in pretty good condition. I test drove it, and the only 2 big problems I noticed is that the accelerator seemed very stiff to push with my foot. I also noticed that some of the service lights on the dash were lit up, not too sure what these mean though.

My main question is this: Are Volvo's very expensive to repair parts/mechanic wise? I know it is a European car, so many mechanics may not know much about the vehicle, but what I basically need is a good beater car to get me around town reliably. I am a car novice, so repairing things myself may not be too much of an option. Do you think a used Volvo is a good idea to purchase?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Default RE: Is a used Volvo 850 a good choice?

If you can't repair a car, I'd advise you to stay away from any European car. If all you want is a beater, you're better off with a Japanese made car. Probably the best deal is to find a Geo Prism, the mechanicals are made by Toyota, but since it doesn't have the Toyota name they can be bought cheap!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

However, if you want something that will outlast most other cars then the Volvo is a good choice. If you know or can find the service history of the vehicle that would help to answer some of your questions. If the Volvo will last twice as long as some cars then you have to factor the cost of buying another used vehicle vs. the cost to maintain the Volvo.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: jeffsenpai

Hello all,

I am considering buying a used 1993 Volvo 850 GLT. It has 104,000 miles on it,but seems to be in pretty good condition. I test drove it, and the only 2 big problems I noticed is that the accelerator seemed very stiff to push with my foot. I also noticed that some of the service lights on the dash were lit up, not too sure what these mean though.

My main question is this: Are Volvo's very expensive to repair parts/mechanic wise? I know it is a European car, so many mechanics may not know much about the vehicle, but what I basically need is a good beater car to get me around town reliably. I am a car novice, so repairing things myself may not be too much of an option. Do you think a used Volvo is a good idea to purchase?
the stiff accelorator pedal was the first thing i noticed when i test drove my 850

Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM

If you can't turn a wrench, these cars will get expensive very very quickly.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: chewy

Hello all,

the stiff accelorator pedal was the first thing i noticed when i test drove my 850
Was it brand new? just curious. I am taking the car to a volvo mechanic tomorrow, hopefully he will answer some of my questions. I know that 104,000 miles is pretty low mileage considering the cars age, so hopefully thats a good thing.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 PM

I've been really happy with my '95 850. I'm not sure what the "best" model year would be realibility-wise, perhaps tech would have a better answser. I have no idea how to fix cars (or anything for that matter) and did my rear brakes a few weekends ago. It was a relatively simplistic job. The local shops wanted $300+ for just the rears with crap parts, I put original Volvo stuff on it for half that. I also replaced my receiver/dryer last year, it was rusted up good but was able to replace it with the help of people on here. Local shops were quoting $550+!!! I did it for $110.

This forum will be a huge resource for you. One thing I would recommend, if you live in a state that requires inspections I wouldn't get a Volvo. I personally don't fix every little thing on my car, if I had to it would certainly be eating me alive. Volvos are good, but I am glad I don't have to get it inspected every year.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 PM

I can't complain about my '95 T5 wagon.

It has done 210,00 kilometres and - apart from having problems with coolant leaking into the cabin afterthe local Volvo workshopbotchedup the job of replacing the engine bay heater hoses - the vehicle has beenproblem free.

It always starts first go, is very comfortable to ride in, has stacks of interior space, is well fitted out, is reasonably economical (about 30 m.p.g) and can keep up with any car on the road.

Keeping up a good maintenance routine is vital (as it is with any car) and, if any parts are required, alot of money can be saved if the parts are purchasedfromfirmslike FCP Groton - as parts bought fromVolvo dealers can be a tad expensive.

If the car is in really good nick andhas a genuine service history - then take the risk,buy it and enjoy the car for what it is as they certainly are a lovelyvehicle.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

If you can't turn a wrench, these cars will get expensive very very quickly.
+1

Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: chewy

Hello all,

Was it brand new? just curious. I am taking the car to a volvo mechanic tomorrow, hopefully he will answer some of my questions. I know that 104,000 miles is pretty low mileage considering the cars age, so hopefully thats a good thing.
no, just purchased it in july with 137000 miles

Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 AM

I just purchased a 95 850 wagon with 191,000 miles. Just need to change the timing belt before I drive it.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Although I own an 850, a 960 would have been my first choice.