Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

volvo 850 rally exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo 850 rally exhaust

ui have a 1993 volvo 850 gl the non turbo version and i want a rally exaust with the crackle and the pop and maybe even a bit of flame but i cannot get a straight answer of how to do this

Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? You own an 850 and this is your first post? Man.... I'm all for helping anyone out. But really? Oh well. Different strokes I guess. Alright. I guess I'll do what I can to send you in the right direction. But there are going to be 2 things you are going to have to do for me.

1.) Give me your location. Because if you live in my neighborhood, you are on your own slick.

2.) Explain what you really mean by Rally exhaust. Are you talking cat-back, or just straight down pipe back?

Yes folks. Believe it or not, not everybody has to go through emissions. And before I even get in to how to make your exhaust flame. You need to answer #1. (Yes, It's illegal in many places) And it's not because I give 2 ****s about that. I was 16 once. It's because I don't know the forum rules about that kind of stuff.

Oh, one more thing.

3.) Unlike your question. You have to type your response in a legible fashion. Use proper capitalization, punctuation and sentence structure. Not some crap you use to text a buddy to find out "wur da partees @" Not asking you to be Shakespeare, just do you best.

Far from a grammar snob, but this **** is getting out of hand. So if you agree to those terms, post back and I will be more than happy to help you.

Last edited by 058ovlov; 07-05-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Who were you asking that you didn't get a straight answer from ??
Maybe you couldn't get a straight answer because the term "Rally" exhaust is a little vague.
Well that and you have to remember that what makes a high performance engine sound good is as much the high performance engine and not the "fart can" some people seem to think makes their car sound ............ better? I get a laugh out of the guys with the loud exhausts where you hear something revving hard, expecting to see something zipping along only to finally pick out the car and see it's having a hard time passing a stock Corolla next to it.

But I can't say much. Right now I'm open after the cat because I'm waiting on my new turbo to finish installing my 3" downpipe and hook it up to the rest of the OBX system. Thankfully my stereo has enough amps to drown it out

But for the flame, you usually need some fuel, a coil and a spark plug to pull that one off. It's easier with a carb as a carb will pass fuel through the engine if you turn you ignition off for a bit and then hit the coil to fire the plug in your exhaust. You need to be careful you don't blow the muffler though.
(I'm not much on text speak either)

Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM

I live in northern indiana. The sound im looking to acheive is like a poping or a cracking when you get on it but i dont want to make it extremely loud if at all possible if not who cares. Im not quite sure what you mean when you say cat-back or straight down pipe. i dont know if im too keen on the flames yet they sound like they can get a little out of hand. Sorry about the grammar too, and thank you very much !

Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Here is a link for a video of the type of sound I am looking for. I know it wont sound exactly like this obviously because of all the aftermarket parts on the engine but I am looking for something simular Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 Engine sound Rally Monte Carlo - YouTube

Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Closest thing you can do is run a CAT-less Downpipe and a straight pipe exhaust (no resonator, muffler or anything that will dampen the sound).

You may run into issues with the police as the it will be very loud and it's illegal to not have a CAT.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looool. Can't tell if serious.

You want the exhaust to be crackly and pop when you really get on it, but you don't want it to be loud???

First off, good luck achieving anything like that with an NA pushing minimal air. Also, in case you didn't know why an exhaust shoots flames, it's caused from a brief period of running extremely rich and very hot exhaust gasses that reignite in the exhaust/coming in contact with the air. Your NA will never run into either of these circumstances. Unless you purchase an aftermarket ignition kit that will have a small gas source and a spark and cause fake flames, in which case, you would be the biggest tool in the universe.

Also, having an NA requires some back pressure of the exhaust, limiting you from running a larger exhaust that would get you these notes that you are seeking. IMO, it's just not possible with your car. Even a turbo 850 won't do that.

Also, you're asking how to make your exhaust make these noises when you don't know what a straight pipe is, cat back, turbo back, downpipe. I think you should do some reading on exhausts.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dougherty93
Here is a link for a video of the type of sound I am looking for. I know it wont sound exactly like this obviously because of all the aftermarket parts on the engine but I am looking for something simular Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 Engine sound Rally Monte Carlo - YouTube

Ok ,, then ....... well you have to remember that that "tone" is part exhaust but it's also part of a modified engine pumping more air and fuel into that exhaust to make the stronger "pulses". If you run a stock or near stock engine and start to open up the exhaust you'll achieve two things. You'll likely reduce the performance of the engine as they are designed for a certain amount of back pressure in the exhaust to help fill the cylinders with the air fuel mixture and the sound will be less than impressive as pointed out earlier in the noisy fart can cars that make noise but don't move.

From the engines exhaust manifold there is a "downpipe" that goes down the back of the engine and bends to go under the car. In a stock system this is one piece and after the bend there is a catalytic converter. After the "cat" there is some pipe and then the suitcase sized muffler which in a stock system is the second and only other part of the exhaust system (other than the chrome tip).
What they are saying is to get that noise.... ah "sound" you'll likely only be able to do it without a catalytic converter and then either live with the drone or go with something like a glasspack muffler to be able to get past a cop without him coming after you
Anything in the way of the exhaust pulses, cat, muffler or resonator will muffle and blend the pulses together reducing the cracking you're looking for.
Show and tell
First is the downpipe and cat stock
second is the muffler and tailpipe stock
third is the much dreamed about OBX stainless steel with 3" downpipe
fourth is the ............ fart can. You can run straight pipe to the bumper and bolt it on.
Unfortunately number four is likely what you'll end up doing to get that sound without drawing the police like a free doughnut buffet !!

Attached Thumbnails volvo 850 rally exhaust-exhaust-cat-stock.jpg   volvo 850 rally exhaust-exhaust-stock-muffler.jpg   volvo 850 rally exhaust-exhaust-obx-stainless-steel-full-turbo-back.jpg   volvo 850 rally exhaust-exhaust-fart-can.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my...on the second post in the is topic. little harsh.

No its actually quite easy. straight pipe the exhaust from header back. Go larger size 2.75- 3 inch is plenty for a NA.

find some turbo injectors.

get a ECM tune.

Let the noise and flames commence!

the flame you see on rally cars is un-burnt fuel igniting in the exhaust pipe. Rally car's (and otehr froms of racing) exhausts run super super hot by the way the engines tuned.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Buy a Honda.... Dont rice a volvo...

Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Now that you mention it ,,, it's usually a Honda with the fart can hanging out the back end

Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
the flame you see on rally cars is un-burnt fuel igniting in the exhaust pipe. Rally car's (and otehr froms of racing) exhausts run super super hot by the way the engines tuned.
That and they tend to run rich with a little extra fuel to produce the power so there's a surplus in the exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails volvo 850 rally exhaust-exhaust-flames.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 07-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyXXL

Yessss!! My vote for best answer in this (stupid) thread!! Give the man his booby prize!!

Oh, sorry if that was too harsh...?