Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo 850 RPM Signal absent

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only that wire was the problem?? no other part? I don't know what can I do to my car, this is the third winter that I have this engine on it, in the first winter on a cold day I couldn't start the engine, I changed the crankshaft position sensor and after I tried about 5-6 times it starts and I didn't had any problems till the last winter. In the last winter the same problem, I changed the sensor another time. With the new sensor I couldn't start the car with the key, I pushed the car and it starts, it runs fine till this winter, in the first cold day I couldn't start my engine... today I ordered a new crankshaft position sensor and I want to see tomorrow if it starts. With the other engine I had no problem, it started good for about 4 years, I had a 2,5 liter engine and I changed it with a 2,0 liter engine.
Every day when the car would not start with the key I could start it pushed and with warm motor it starts fine in that day but in the next day with cold motor the problem reappears. Now I couldn't start the motor even if I try to push the car...
I am very curios in every winter my crankshaft position sensor will let me down or it is another problem??
My old sensor has a resistance of 280 ohms and I get 250 millivolts with it, I will test the new sensor tomorrow.
If everyone has an idea of what could be the problem I'm very glad to hear it
Thank you

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could my alarm block the spark on my volvo 850??
I pull out the fuse from the central locking and when I put it back in it started the alarm, I didn't had batteries in my remote control so I pulled out the fuse again to stop the alarm, when I put it back in it was ok(I think so the alarm had stop), but now I couldn't close the car from the remote control only with the key and I have no spark...
my car is at a mechanic for two weeks and he doesn't know what's the problem that I have no spark...

Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks that you have a European model. Most people on this board are in US. I am not sure what the differences are. Especially since you changed out the engine, you might be the only one to know if the ECU was changed out to (what).

If you have a good mechanic he will work methodically through the wiring diagrams, going upstream.