Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo 850 Shifter disassembly (change knob & boot)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 850 Shifter disassembly (change **** & boot)

Volvo 850 Instructional Shift Boot removal

Now in the Volvo Vadis and Vida diagnostic software they tell you to cut off you shift **** because they often get damaged in the removal process I explained below. So this is a warning to all of you trying to reuse your ****. I broke one of the tabs off my **** so let this be a warning. My **** still works but be careful not to break the tabs like I did.
You will need 5 small flat screwdrivers to wedge against some stubborn plastic prongs that hold the shifter boot and **** in place.

1. First, remove the plastic piece that is under the e brake handle.

2. Get your finger below the wood console surface through that hole and undo the shift boot clips. They go all the way around the boot.

3. Once the boot is free and disconnected from the console you will want to push the rubber piece in the boot down toward the floor.

4. Now raise the leather boot over the shift ****.

This will give you more room for the next step.

5. Now we are going to remove the shift boot. If you look at the pictures I took of the shift boot and shifter you can see there are 3 prongs that need to be pushed back to unclip the shift boot.

6. So take 3 flat screwdrivers and wedge them all the way around the shifter boot housing prongs.

7. Once all are in position you will push the plastic piece downward so you have room to take off the shift ****.

8. Now that the shift boot is down and out of the way, it is time to remove the shift ****. We will use the same removal technique as the boot but this time you will need five flat screwdrivers to hold the five shifter **** prongs back for removal. Take a look at the pictures provided as they show the prongs on the shift ****.

9. Once all screwdrivers are in place pull the **** upward and it should come off with a little wiggling.

10. Finally, you can pull the shift boot up off the shifter shaft. It sometimes helps to wiggle it from side to side if it get stuck, and there are the two rings on the shifter shaft that it can get stuck on. If it does get stuck just apply the same three-screwdriver technique and you'll have it off in no time with no cutting your ****!

Reassemble as usual; follow the steps backward to do so. The only thing you will need to do is glue the new shift boot to the plastic piece that clips on the console to secure the boot. There are no special recommendations or added steps for the re installation other than the gluing.

Here is the VADIS directions if you wanna look at them:

Remove gear ****

Cut off the outer casing on the **** with a knife
Remove inner sleeve using pincers so the locking groove is exposed.
Remove ****.

Remove gear shift gaiter (shift boot)
Remove cover under parking brake lever
Detach gear shift gaiter from center console by pressing on rear of the gaiter on the snap fasterners from below via the hole under the parking brake.
Pull off gaiter from the gear shift.

Install shift boot
Guide lug on the gaiter ring must align with the guide groove on the shift.
Press ring down until it meets the lower locking groove
Secure the gear shift lever gaiter on the center console by first pressing on the catches at the front edge, then the clips on the sides and rear edge.
Install cover under parking brake lever.
Install gear shift ****.
Guide lug on gear shift **** is aligned on the guide groove on the gear shift lever and pressed down to the locking groove.

Money shot!!! PM me if you want a word doc of the install, as I will gladly email anyone interested a copy

Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM

This is my first how to post so don't burn me! If you have any additional suggestions let me know!
Finally I can give back to all of your helpful posts that have helped me over the years

Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Nobodys going to burn you. You have shown an alternate method.

There is a DIY section that has a lot of information on a lot of things on our cars. There is a writeup on removing the shift **** but you have shown us a second way.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...up-pics-51244/

DYI thread
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...repairs-26114/