Volvo 850 was starting and dying, Now won't start - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 850
Reload this Page >

Volvo 850 was starting and dying, Now won't start

Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo 850 was starting and dying, Now won't start

Old 02-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Default Volvo 850 was starting and dying, Now won't start

Hi Guys,
I have a 97 850 wagon. Everything's been fine for years, until yesterday after a 38 deg. cold spell here in California, went to start it and it died a couple of times after running for a second. Went to start it again today, did the same and then it stopped starting. Now it only cranks.
-Tried bypassing fuel pump relay
-replaced fuel pump about 2 years ago, with a Bosch.
Please help!
Much appreciated.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM

Decide if you're out of gas, check for spark, check fuel pressure. Could just be water in the tank. You may have a big vacuum leak; If so, or if it's a MAF problem,, it may run with the maf unplugged. I am not sure about that. You can run it on ether if you just want to convince yourself it's timed okay and sparking.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts View Post
Decide if you're out of gas, check for spark, check fuel pressure. Could just be water in the tank. You may have a big vacuum leak; If so, or if it's a MAF problem,, it may run with the maf unplugged. I am not sure about that. You can run it on ether if you just want to convince yourself it's timed okay and sparking.
Thanks firebirdparts.
Fuel pump wasn't working, even when bypassing relay, or also when giving it direct power. Took it out and bench tested, it worked but not as well as a new one, so replaced. Car started fine after.
But.... This morning it did the same symptoms as the day before where it starts and dies, starts and dies, and after four times of that it finally stayed running, just like it did before it died completely.
A thing I do notice is that when it starts and dies there's a rattling relay sound behind the dash on the driver side... When it finally starts and runs the sounds stops right before... ?...
Thanks for your help guys!

Old 02-07-2019, 03:09 PM

wonder if you also have an issue with the ignition switch. Does it sound like the AC blower or some other relays cutting in or out? Also, when you replaced the fuel pump did you also replace the fuel pump relay and the injector relay (on the radiator cowling) for good measure. Sometimes when the fuel pumps go, they draw too much current which overheats and degrades the relay.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127 View Post
wonder if you also have an issue with the ignition switch. Does it sound like the AC blower or some other relays cutting in or out? Also, when you replaced the fuel pump did you also replace the fuel pump relay and the injector relay (on the radiator cowling) for good measure. Sometimes when the fuel pumps go, they draw too much current which overheats and degrades the relay.
Thanks. I haven't replaced the relays yet, but I will. Since the pump didn't work being fed straight power, I was sure that would be the issue..
So one thing I noticed, today in the morning when car was cold, it did the same thing where it starts and dies, but anytime after during the day it started okay every time...?...
I have relays with me, so will replace before starting cold again and see if it makes a difference.

Will update. But please keep the knowledge and ideas coming...

Thanks guys.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:37 AM

It seems like a mention of the temperature sensor would be in order. With an OBDII scan tool, you can look and see what temperature the engine thinks it is.

I don't know of anything that would be making a racket truly under the dash, but if it's the igniition switch cutting in and out quickly, that could happen.

On my cars, if there's a mysterious racket, it's always a headlight wiper motor, ha ha. Need to keep them unplugged.