Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

the volvo 855 turbo misfire soultion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the volvo 855 turbo misfire soultion?

ok guys think i found my problem!!
rear oxygen sensor!!!
im getting 2 codes -rear ho2s and rear ho2s preheating
ran fuel injector cleaner got the bugiacords and oem plugs and still have the steady misfire
so quote me if im wrong but i believe an o2 sensor will cause a misfire??
and which o2 sensor is a good replacement?? please and thank you.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

An O2 sensors job differs depending on it's location. If it's the "sensor 1" sensor or "upstream" it is responsible for sending the signal to the computer as one of the inputs the computer uses to determine injector pulse so as to meter in the correct amount of fuel at any given moment. It would be the front one.

The "sensor 2" or downstream O2 sensor has much less input to the computer and mostly just monitors if the catalytic converter is doing it's job in eliminating hydrocarbons, NOx, ..... and monitoring the amount of hydrocarbons in the exhaust after the cat. You call it the rear.

Your code seems to be for the downstream O2 and it shouldn't ,,, shouldn't have anything to do with a misfire. Even the upstream one wouldn't be very capable of doing it either as if it goes out totally the computer faults out to a basic program or fuel map that is richer than it should be as that way it's safer than leaning the engine out and even thought it's richer it's not so rich as to foul anything out.

At least that's how it's supposed to work on a good day

If you've done the cap, rotor, wires and plugs you've done all the easy stuff and usually one of those would be the culprit. If you're still having the misfire you might have a partially clogged injector or even a bad seal between the valve and valve seat. Like a valve guide that lets the valve wobble a bit. You might want to try another bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner or the Chevron Techron. They seem to be the two that consistently get recommended. I like the Lucas more myself but either way don't try to "double up" on it. Using twice as much is just wasting a bottle. Once you've done the easy stuff than it's a matter of spending the time to eliminate other possibilities no matter how small a chance they are of being the problem.
You might want to run a compression test if you haven't just in case you have a valve or piston ring that is starting to go.

When does it misfire, at idle, going down the road, hard acceleration ....

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 with Kiss. Next step would be a compression test and leakdown compression test. You may have a burnt valve that isn't real bad...yet.