Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

volvo 93 doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo 93 doesn't start

Ok for the past few weeks, my car has not been working. And everybody points to the stater, naturally. So I was going to buy one today until someone told me to get some cables and see if the stater responded. So I got the cables and touched the starter, and it started to respond and it started turning and making noise.

So now I am back to square one, I had a meter and checked all the cables and there is electricity going through. . Right now I am going with a buddy of mine while I touch the starter and while I crank to see if it works..

I also heard about this PNP switch, how much is it and is it hard to replace? Where can I find this part?

Thank you all help is much appreciated

Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Will the starter work if you use jumper cables going to your present battery terminals ??
How are you "touching" the starter, what are you using ??

The PNP switch id down from the distributor mounted on the transmission. If you need to purchase one or pick one up at a salvage yard first check the one you have to see if it has a male or female connector. I've seen where it can come either way.
FCPGroton or IPDusa have the switch.

Attached Thumbnails volvo 93 doesn't start-transmission-pnp-male-connector.jpg   volvo 93 doesn't start-trans-pnp-switch-out-car.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM

I used coax cables to touch the starter and it will spark and i will hear it turn and go. I will try to jump the car while touching it to see if its locked up or something. How do i clean the switch? And i will hear a humming noise when i turn on the car but it doesnt start.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 AM

And I should note when I turn the key nothing happens.. could it be the fuel pump

Last edited by rspi; 01-01-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok, now that you have 2 threads going because you have not tried what was told to you in the first one... kinda frustrating for us.

Anyway, there are several ways to explain a no start issue.

1. Not cranking. This is the same is NOT turning over.
2. Not starting. This means that the car is cranking but will stop as soon as you let the key go.

We all understand that the car is NOT cranking. There are several reasons why a car will NOT CRANK:
1. You have an electrical problem in the ignition.
2. You have a locked up starter.
3. You have a bad PNP switch.
4. You have bad battery cables.
5. You have a locked up motor.
6. You have a dead battery.
7. Your gear shifter isn't in park (bad switch).
8. Bad starter relay.
...There may be other reasons but the ones above are promary.

So, a bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay will NOT stop a car from cranking. So, you have to do some trouble shooting to figure out which of the problems listed above apply. If you can't do that, take the car to a mechanic, it's not our fault.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, another NO CRANKING issue may be that the car alarm has been tripped. Does the car have an alarm? If this is the case, lock and unlock the car with the key in the drivers door then try to start the car.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM

I did not mean to have two threads going on, I am on my cell phone and I didn't know if one posted. I apologize. So how do I know if the engine turns over.. because when I turn on the car I hear two clicks, and some humming noise. So I guess I gotta get a mechanic, because from the codes I pulled there are both relating to a sensor. 214 and 433

Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, coax cable is something you use for transmission of cable TV signals. You need to read up on some terms so you can give us an idea of what you're talking about.

Coaxial cable, or coax (pronounced 'ko.aks), is a type of cable that has an inner conductor surrounded by a tubular insulating layer, surrounded by a tubular conducting shield. Many coaxial cables also have an insulating outer sheath or jacket. The term coaxial comes from the inner conductor and the outer shield sharing a geometric axis. Coaxial cable was invented by English engineer and mathematician Oliver Heaviside, who patented the design in 1880.[1] Coaxial cable differs from other shielded cable used for carrying lower-frequency signals, such as audio signals, in that the dimensions of the cable are controlled to give a precise, constant conductor spacing, which is needed for it to function efficiently as a radio frequency transmission line.

Unless you really did use coax cable to jump to the starters terminal

We could also just shift the discussion to your other thread since they are for the same car, same problem That thread is:https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...vo-93-a-68020/
and let this one die.

Attached Thumbnails volvo 93 doesn't start-coax-cable.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-01-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also wear rubber gloves when testing a starter/any high-current drawing device. 50mA (0.05A) is enough to kill a person. High-voltage alone, on the other hand, may/may not kill a person even at 6000VDC (but I wouldn't recommend fooling around either).

JPN