Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo Help in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Help in Denver

Help! A couple new problems have reared their ugly heads and i'm wondering what my options are.... my left inner tie rod has "excessive movement" and my rack and pinion is leaking from the left boot. Mechanic that discovered it during a routine oil change and tire rotation/balance, quoted me $300 labor (3 hours) + about $250 for a rebuilt steering rack.

WOW! And i'm moving this month - no way this is happening now!

I have plans to take it to my Hungarian mechanic in Thornton, but wondering if anyone else has any good places for something like this? Or an advice when dealing with a "blown" rack and pinion. Can I have it removed and rebuilt? God, I wish there was a place that you could rent time with a lift - that would make this kind of work SO much easier!!

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Default RE: Volvo Help in Denver

Actually, 250 for the rebuilt rack sounds cheap... 300 for the install sounds reasonable. Many companies do "rebuilds" and they vary by locality (don't know who does them in the Denver area...) but be sure to check around to be sure this is a good one with a solid warranty. Also, get a "full rack" with new inner tie rod ends. When you replace the rack, be sure to have them flush the system as the old rack will shed filings throughout the system... you don't want to kill your pump and the new rack...

Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 PM

God, I wish there was a place that you could rent time with a lift - that would make this kind of work SO much easier!!
Funny you mention that I was actually working on a business model centered around that, and added a connected parts store and (free) rental tool shop. However with the amount of money invested I couldn't see that many people using it. Startup costs were pretty capital intensive. Most everyone these days takes their cars to a mechanic and the ones that don't generally can get whatever they need done with jack stands.

The lift rental would have to be pretty reasonable and if it were reasonable payback just didn't come.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...137/by_year/44

N/A (Seems the same):
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...136/by_year/44

The subframe has to be dropped around the R&P. If you can rent out a set of ramps or buy a pair of jack stands (approx $25 at Sears) and buy/rent a hydraulic floor jack, you may be able to do the job yourself. However, Tech says it is a PITA.

If you dare to do the job yourself, I can supply the procedures & illustration. Otherwise, have it done at a shop that frequently deals with Swedish/European models. An average town shop may not be able to do the job right.

JPN