Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Wanting a CAI for my 850 non-turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting a CAI for my 850 non-turbo

Last week I was looking around for a Cold Air Intake (CAI) for my 96 850 non-turbo. Upon my search I noticed that all the CAI i came across where for turbo cars. From the looks, it appears the air box for cars are in the same location.

Being frustrated, I decided to email IPD to see if their CAI for turbo cars would fit non-turbo cars. I posted the email and response below:

Hello Shannon,
Thanks for the email. Unfortunately our intake will not work on the non turbo cars. The intake box and air mass meter set up is much different on the non turbo cars so our kit will not work.
Thanks,
Cameron

Cameron Daline
ipd / RalliTEK
Customer Service Representative
P: 503-257-7500 x 155
F: 503-257-7596
cdaline@ipdusa.com

Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:54 AM
To: Website Info Requests
Subject: ipd Short Ram Intake ipd#: SR5T

Good morning,

I own a 1996 Volvo 850 GLT (non-turbo). During my search of looking for an air intake for my car, I came across you air intake (part # SR5T). In the description it only refers to this product being for turbo models. I’d like to know if this intake will work with non-turbo models as well. If so, I’d be willing to purchase your product.

Thank you,
Shannon Glover

Upon looking up the part #s for a 96 non-turbo and turbo car and they came up w/ the same OEM part number, and IPD's CAI system does not reuse the intake air box.

Can someone tell me for sure if there is some difference in the two systems, and are there any CAI out there for non-turbo cars?

P.S. I know I have a non-turbo car, so I will not get the performance gains that a turbo car will. I'm just trying to help my car breath a little better.

Mousiee

Old 06-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CAI will do close to squat for you (and me).
Best thing you can do is 'fix' the preheat valve on the airbox entry.

Oh and if you want a CAI, diy baby diy.
Search, few people have done cai's on non turbo's.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ShaginWagon
CAI will do close to squat for you (and me).
Best thing you can do is 'fix' the preheat valve on the airbox entry.

Oh and if you want a CAI, diy baby diy.
Search, few people have done cai's on non turbo's.
Thanks for your response, I will search the forums for a diy. I did see a thread where someone sealed off the preheat valve on the airbox and noticed improvement from throttle response.

Just to reiterate, this is not about gaining a bunch of hp. I just want the car to breath a lil better, have better throttle response, and get a lil more mpg. This is something I do on all my cars regardless.

Thanks
Mousiee

Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

1. There is no CAI basically available for Volvo's. The only ones that are made are for the s40/c30 models. They will not fit your car.

2. IPD USA, EuroSportTuing (EST) what they sell are not CAI's. They sell what is called a Short Ram Intakes (SRI).

3. You going to have to fab yourself something up either a CAI or SRI.

4. FYI, unless you fully enclose the filter your going to be pulling in hot air so any breathing your going to be doing is going to be wasted by the hot air that is being brought in, unless you affix the filter somewhere near the bottom of the front bumper.

5. Here are two DIY intake setups. Now they were done both on turbo cars, but you can get an idea and go from there.

A. https://volvoforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-21/v70-r-custom-intake-heat-shield-6473/
B. http://quickbrickmotorsports.com/bay19/cai/cai.htm

Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by S70driver
1. There is no CAI basically available for Volvo's. The only ones that are made are for the s40/c30 models. They will not fit your car.

2. IPD USA, EuroSportTuing (EST) what they sell are not CAI's. They sell what is called a Short Ram Intakes (SRI).

3. You going to have to fab yourself something up either a CAI or SRI.

4. FYI, unless you fully enclose the filter your going to be pulling in hot air so any breathing your going to be doing is going to be wasted by the hot air that is being brought in, unless you affix the filter somewhere near the bottom of the front bumper.

5. Here are two DIY intake setups. Now they were done both on turbo cars, but you can get an idea and go from there.

A. https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6473
B. http://quickbrickmotorsports.com/bay19/cai/cai.htm

Wow....Thanks, S70driver!

I'll check these out tonight.

Mousiee

Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, the air box mod gave me better throttle response and better economy.
The engine also winds out faster, to a higher top end.

BUT, As we all know, breathing is about - air in, air out.

Useless having free flowing intake if the engines trying to push out through a straw.

So, I also have a better exhaust.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ShaginWagon
For me, the air box mod gave me better throttle response and better economy.
The engine also winds out faster, to a higher top end.

BUT, As we all know, breathing is about - air in, air out.

Useless having free flowing intake if the engines trying to push out through a straw.

So, I also have a better exhaust.
I'm witcha! The exhaust will come after the intake. I tend to do ihe on all my cars.

Thanks
Mousiee

Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM

The intake for non-turbos are actually designed very well and the engines dont really saffocate. so, there wont be a big help to engine for breathing with new setup. Having a better exhaust definately will help and you will feel the defference. Mine n/a has a aftermarket high flow cat convertor and little wider exhaust (dont remember the size). It felt little loud for first few days but there was definately some improvement in overall throttle response. As far as MPG is concerned, there are different stories from different sides. Some believe that it improves the MPG where as others explain and proove that you loose on MPG with wider exhaust (also increases the chances od triggering the check engine light) will go down because there will not be enough back pressure required to balance the air flow in combustion chambers.
I am probably with the second opinion but the difference, if there is, is not much noticeable in terms of MPG.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by bestharry
The intake for non-turbos are actually designed very well and the engines dont really saffocate. so, there wont be a big help to engine for breathing with new setup. Having a better exhaust definately will help and you will feel the defference. Mine n/a has a aftermarket high flow cat convertor and little wider exhaust (dont remember the size). It felt little loud for first few days but there was definately some improvement in overall throttle response. As far as MPG is concerned, there are different stories from different sides. Some believe that it improves the MPG where as others explain and proove that you loose on MPG with wider exhaust (also increases the chances od triggering the check engine light) will go down because there will not be enough back pressure required to balance the air flow in combustion chambers.
I am probably with the second opinion but the difference, if there is, is not much noticeable in terms of MPG.

Thanks for the response bestharry!

Did you go w/ a off the shelve exhaust or did you have it fabricated?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM

im planing to go with an obx

Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 850tony
im planing to go with an obx

I didn't know they made exhaust for non turbo cars; great to know.