Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

WARNING!!! Cooling system hoses, replace them ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation WARNING!!! Cooling system hoses, replace them ASAP!!!

Earlier this year, I picked up a new coolant reservoir and cap, along with the upper and lower radiator hose, and both the lines running to the coolant reservoir.

I was talking with rspi, and he mentioned there are some other hoses I should change out at the same time.

Note that I have a 97 855R.

It appears there are 7 hoses in the cooling system I should be replacing.

-Upper Rad Hose
-Lower Rad Hose
-Expansion Tank Upper
-Expansion Tank Lower
-Heater Core Inlet
-Heater Core Outlet
-Turbo Return hose

Are there any others? If there's a turbo return, is there a turbo supply hose?

How difficult are the heater core hoses to replace? Do I need any special clips / seals / o-rings / tools etc? I notice the heater core hoses have a metal end on them that is crimped, will I have to pull the heater core to replace the hoses?

I'd prefer to drain and refill the system once, instead of replacing the 4 I have now, and finding a leak in one of the others down the road. All of mine are original. None are leaking at this time.

Last edited by rspi; 10-28-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: stick
Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by johnwartr
...there are 7 hoses in the cooling system I should be replacing.

None are leaking at this time.
None are leaking, but you have to replace everything? Ok, I have to ask...

Why?

If there was a trophy for preventative maintenance, you'd win it

The turbo supply line is metal. It runs along the side of the motor, above the turbo heat shield, and connects near the timing belt cover to the hose coming from the bottom of the coolant resevoir. There is a small hose that connects the two, and I suppose you could buy the actual hose that goes there. Any small piece of heater hose works.

The hoses going into the heater core require no special tools. Squeeze the clips an pull. You will probably want to replace the O-rings though. Once you pull the hose, the rings usually don't seal back up. There's a kit available, though I believe your new hoses should come with new seals and clips.

When you pull the heater hoses, count the number of O-rings and little plastic washers that come out. Sometimes one will get stuck in there and the new hose won't clip into place.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mudpie
None are leaking, but you have to replace everything? Ok, I have to ask...

Why?

If there was a trophy for preventative maintenance, you'd win it
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, it seems a little... ****. Or meticulous, some people get bothered by that word

The thing is, the hoses are all original. From 1997. By any definition of the word, they've last longer than expected.

I don't want one to fail at an inopportune time - which means pretty much anytime I'm driving the car. I have 3 kids I haul around with me, and I don't want us to get stranded because a hose burst.

Seems I'm doing half the job, if I ignore the other lines.

Maybe I'm just picky.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

What's wrong with preventative maintenance? Do you wait until the car is misfiring to replace spark plugs? Do you wait until a tire blows out from being worn down to the cords to replace it? Do you wait until the timing belt snaps to replace it?

Replacing wear items before they fail is a good idea for just those reasons john mentioned.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I feel as if I'm beating a dead horse but do replace those hoses. I really would rather replace a $6 hose behind the motor than have it blow on me while driving down the freeway. If it blows, you will loose all of your coolant in about 10 seconds, then the car will overheat in about 20 seconds. At that point you have a do or die decision to make, do a head gasket or junk the car...

John, yes there is another hose, that makes 8 total. I order it today from FCP. It is the turbo supply line. Was texting my Orlando mechanic last week and found out that his blew a few months ago and it caused the car to overheat and blow his head gasket.

Volvo Turbo Inlet Cooling Hose-At Turbo - Genuine Volvo 6842190 | FCP Euro

As you know, I caught a leak back on my turbo return line the other day. I was so thankful. I believe every car over 10 years old should have all of their coolant hoses replaced.

Oh, when you replace those heater hoses, do replace the plastic lock clips that go into the firewall coupling. Spoke to a lady JUST TODAY that had one of those plastic parts come loose, blew the hose out, caused her to overheat the motor because she could not pull over fast enough with the highway traffic she was in. Sad thing about the clip kit is that it is only $9 cheaper than the entire part.

Volvo Heater Hose O Ring Kit (850 C70 S70 V70) - Genuine 3545662 | FCP Euro

My daughter took her car in for service last week and she asked the mechanic to replace ALL of her coolant hoses and when she picked up the car he only replaced 4. So it is very common for mechanics to overlook the other coolant filled lines as well. Next time she will have them replace the other 4 plus these clips:
1. Turbo return.
2. Turbo supply.
3. Heater supply.
4. Heater return.

So, if you have a turbo, you have 8 hoses to replace. Mudpie, replace the hoses and join the WINNING team.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM

The 4 other hoses, and clip/seal kit are $172 at FCP

They are $140 from Darrell Waltrip Volvo.

I know where my $$ is going for this order.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Thanks. I need to look up Waltrip.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Administrator

I could not find the heater hoses on Waltrip's website.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

I think I figured it out.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
What's wrong with preventative maintenance? Do you wait until the car is misfiring to replace spark plugs? Do you wait until a tire blows out from being worn down to the cords to replace it? Do you wait until the timing belt snaps to replace it?

Replacing wear items before they fail is a good idea for just those reasons john mentioned.
Nothing wrong with it. I'm all over PM on my cars. Volvo says change the timing belt at 70k, so I change it. At no point though is there any recommendation to change every hose, just lots of checking at various service intervals. To each his own. I was just curious.

But really....how many sticky's are we gonna add? Sure, if your hoses are 16 years old, they might need replacing. That warrants a "WARNING....change ASAP!!!" sticky? Since you mentioned it, I must have missed the "WARNING!!! Change your spark plugs!!" sticky, or the "WARNING!!! Don't drive on bald tires!!" sticky.

And don't forget the "WARNING!!! Replace your wiper blades NOW!!!" thread. I live in Washington...it rains here. What am I gonna do if nobody warns me to change my wipers?

Before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, I'm just saying let's not go overboard with sticky's for things that should be obvious

Last edited by mudpie; 10-31-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Hey man, there are dozens of people that blow hoses and head gaskets. That is likely the #1 reason old cars leave the road. A hose blows, the coolant leaks out, the car over heats, and the repair cost exceeds the car's value (not to mention the owners budget).

I know most of them have no idea that hoses should be checked or replaced. There are not that many sticky's on this 850 forum. Some come and go, others stay around for a while. I stuck the warning because I thought it would be a good thing to do for regulars. Leave it stuck for a few weeks or however long I feel like it. There has been timing belt sticky's up forever, but people still drive around not changing them and breaking them. I told my brother to change his, did he listen, NO and it broke 3 months later.

Of course there is always the option for you not to view the sticky or forum.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Administrator

If your car is turbo, you have the following hoses:

1. Upper radiator - 1335433
2. Lower radiator - 9470409 / 6842428
3. Upper reservoir - 9135267
4. Lower reservoir - 6842894
5. Heater inlet - 9186849
6. Heater outlet - 9186847 / 3528275
7. Turbo supply - 6842190
8. Turbo outlet - 30713305
As a bonus, you should also replace the heater hose locking clips. If they fail, the hose will pop out and cause the loss of coolant, yes in seconds. - 3545662

Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 AM

This I will be doing in the next year although I have checked the hoses and they are good for now, but I would rather replace with new. I keep and eye on my car on a daily basis working in parts and having access to lifts in the shop is a plus, but I dont do the work because I suck working on cars so I pay a buddy mechanic who is good for the job.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Trust me, look at them. My son (and I ) learned it the hard way. Hose blew on him and the results took a couple months to sort out (read the thread "850 down" for details

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Last edited by rspi; 02-21-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: updated video
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM

Your turbo is water cooled also. I ended up replacing all my hoses over a 6 month period due to deterioration. I also have an R. Over the last 4 years I have replaced every hose in the engine including the radiator. If I could have done it over I would have done it all at once.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Default Gunmetal

Your turbo is water cooled also. I ended up replacing all my hoses over a 6 month period due to deterioration. I also have an R. Over the last 4 years I have replaced every hose in the engine including the radiator. If I could have done it over I would have done it all at once.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Yes I know.

Glad you have yours replaced.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM

There are ways to do preventative maintenance CHECKS. And, if you're the type of person that has the mechanical ability and forethought to worry about that stuff and change it yourself you can probably check it and monitor your gauges. If its reading hotter than normal STOP, and you won't hurt your engine. A hose never just fails in a permanent way without some wear that can be checked for, such as cracking, swelling, and sponginess.