Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Well I Really Put My Foot Into It!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well I Really Put My Foot Into It!

I took the 850 R out and it was running better the longer I drove it. I put about 40 miles on it driving like a little old lady, you know kind of slow. I reset the CEL after about 20 miles and it did not come back on. About three miles from home I couldn't take it any longer and I put my foot into it a little doing about 55 mph. It shot up to 80 in a flash. Then I dropped back down to around 65-70 and just couldn't resist and I really let it have it. It hit 90 like nothing and was feeling real good. I think we're both feeling much better now.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Well I Really Put My Foot Into It!

CONGRATS

[sm=burnout.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=nxsmile.gif]

HOEPFULLY ALL IS 100%

Old 01-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Funny stuff there tech!

It still feels a little rough idling in gear and going very slow. The SRS red light is also on. But I took it to work today and ran fine with just normal driving. The CEL did come on and the OIL light flashed a couple times, but no leaking and the oil level is fine. So I'm still taking it to the shop on Tuesday to see if they find anything and to turn out the SRS light and reset the SERVICE light. The place I take is real honest and does not do anything other than what it needs. No stuff like inspect the belts and check fluid levels.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a plan keep us posted.

Did you double and tripple check all the vaccum lines?

Old 01-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: tech

Sounds like a plan keep us posted.

Did you double and tripple check all the vaccum lines?
Ditto on that.

850 R's rock.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Got it in the shop today and it has low compression in cylinder 1, about 120 when it should be around 150 to 180 which is what the other cylinders have, He said that's not bad enough to worry about. The real problem is a bad spark plug wire on cylinder one, so they are putting a new set of plug wires on. He also said the upper motor mount is not factory and is causing vibration in the car. I'm having that replaced with a factory mount for about another $100. Had him look at why the SRS light is on and he said they pulled the codes and there is a fault and for them to go any further could run into money, maybe as much as $1200 if it needs a new air bag. I guess I'm not doing anything with that right now.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Glad the running was something simple.
Try to get the codes from the SRS system for me. We might be able to figure that part out.

Now it will be about 100% YAH YAH!!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

The code is SRS 212 - Driver's Side Airbag Fault

Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator

It could either be a Bad contact reel or the Air bag.

Alot of times the contact reel goes bad. That gives the signal from the control module to the Air bag.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Eitther way it sounds expensive and not something I can do myself, right?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator

You can replace the parts yourself. It is the parts that are pretty expensive.

As long as the Battery is disconnected you can mess with the Air bags.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

How do you tell if it's the contact reel or the air bag? How do I get to the parts also? Will the light go out when you replace the bad part or do you have to have a special tool to reset the light? How would the air bag itself go bad? This light came on before we started doing any work to the car, so it's nothing we caused by working on it.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

You will have to have the codes cleared. To get to both of the peices you will need to remove the Air Bag.
You will need a Long T-30 socket to loosen the Air bag screws. Then once the Air bag is off you will have to remove the steering wheel to get to the contact reel.

But if you want before you go that far remove the black plastic covers around the steering column. Then look behind the steering wheel. You will see a kind of clear plastic thing with wires going to it. Tha is the contact reel. Alot of times what happens is the plastic breaks and then it flops around. Then the inside could break causing the SRS light to come on.

See if you had a scanner That cleared the SRS you could remove the Air bag and jump the wire with a paper clip. Then if the code cleared the Air bag would be bad. But if it didn't then you would know it was the Contact reel.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Any way to just turn the red SRS light out?

The car is running great. Got it back from the shop on Thursday and it was still leaking some coolant. Took it back to them yesterday and put it up on the rack while I was there. It was leaking around the drain plug in the block. I guess the guy who worked on the car last didn't tighten it enough. Wonder who that would be? Haven't looked under it yet today, but they did a pressure test on it and that was the only leak we found.

Wish I could go find that Camaro that barely beat me before the valve went bad. That would be the test to see if it's running better than it did before doing the head. It sure feels like it is, but like I said I've been driving a four cylinder pick up truck for the past six weeks. Now I'm driving an R!

Old 01-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: JimKW

Any way to just turn the red SRS light out?
If you can live with it being on then don't worry about it at the moment. Just remember when the light is on the SRS is Disabled.

If you find that Camaro and race him again let us know how it goes.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I have this problem with my 850R !! I've posted on pistonheads.com refering to the SRS-212 error. Is it safe to connect the battery with the driver airbag out of the car? Will the passenger airbag go off?! Is the contact reel you mention the wire with the green end that clips into the driver airbag? Is it a case of bridging the two tiny pint in that green connector to make a circuit, then use vol fcr software (volvo software) to reset the light?

I know this original post is 5 years old, but if you can help me out it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you connect the battery with any part of the SRS system missing it will trigger a fault that can only be cleared by a Volvo service shop. Thats all I know about it but Tech will answer once he gets on. Good luck.