Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 850 GLT air conditioning trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 850 GLT air conditioning trouble

Ok, here is my big problem. i have a 1995 850 GLT, the A/C went out, I replaced the compressor, and it was working well. Then it began to leak condensation onto the floor on the passenger's side. then it began not always blowing cool air, or any kind of air. A super great mechanic thought it might be the motor on the blower, but found it was not. Apparently this dripping water coming in under the dash is causing the problems. It REALLY got worse AFTER I had the alternator & battery replaced a few weeks ago at Pep Boys.

So, my question is this, does anyone have diagrams/photos of the 2 lines running from the unit which should be letting the condensed water drip onto the ground? My mechanic isn't familiar with Volvo's, and said that short of taking it all apart to find them, which is costly, if he could get a lead on where to find these lines he could fix it easily enough. he said either the lines have gotten clogged up OR /one/ both are missing.

Is this coherent? And thanks in advance ofr any help anyone can offer. I'm in Atlanta, it is HOT & HUMID, and I'm miserable.

ooops, I should have said, 1995. it isn't a 96, it's a 95

Last edited by Midtown Girl; 06-24-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 PM

he one on the right is for the evaporator housing..
The one on the left is inside the heater core housing (you cant see it there, but its in the center housing)

Is it just water on the floor?
Your drain might just be clogged for the evap casing, everything is under the passenger side dash.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can download the diagrams and k-jet.org.

There is a drain hose (not two), that drains the condensated water to the ground. Your mechanic is right that this drain is clogged. If he could get under the car however, he should be able to see and clean this rubber/plastic hose.

There is very little possibility though that the water laying around has damaged any electrical components. These components are elevated one to two feet above where water collects.

Is you car's AC manual or climate control? Some Climate Control Units (the one on the dash, above the radio, with buttons that you push and turn) are known to have weak solder points (inside). These solder joints can be re-soldered for very little cost. Your "no air" problem can be because of that, or because the blower's Resistor, or wires.

One un-orthodox idea -- you could offer some money compensation to members (of this Forum) in your area to help you out with this job. Members would know more than you mechanic does.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Smile

thanks ever so much, you guys ROCK!!! I'll print out what you guys replied and give it to my mechanic, and let you all know the out come. I have a feeling that this is going to give him the information he needs to fix it.

once more THANK YOU, you all are the best. who ever said chivalry was dead just hadn't met Volvo devotees!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MattyXXL

he one on the right is for the evaporator housing..
The one on the left is inside the heater core housing (you cant see it there, but its in the center housing)

Is it just water on the floor?
Your drain might just be clogged for the evap casing, everything is under the passenger side dash.

yes, it is just on the floor of the passenger's side, and I mean with the humidity we have in Atlanta, it doesn't take long at all when the air is running, to have conisderable water standing in the floor. it even drips onto the floor when the air is NOT on.

I've gone to 2 different mechanics other than the one who is now trying to solve the problem. One told me...I need a new compressor!! no, sport, i DON'T, it was replaced LAST YEAR.

The next one suggested it might be the motor on the blower, which is originall what my guy thought until he got in there and looked and saw what was going on.

if I knew of a trust worthly mechanic in Atlanta who was familiar with Volvos I'd gladly go to that person. But I don't have the time, money or patience to mess around with mechanics who are just looking to bleed me dry.

I've already been down that road with a Saab.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 AM

henry, I'd be happy to pay someone from the forum who knows Volvos but I'm in Atlanta, and so far haven't stumbled upon anyone.

Midtown Girl

Old 06-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midtown Girl
henry, I'd be happy to pay someone from the forum who knows Volvos but I'm in Atlanta, and so far haven't stumbled upon anyone.

Midtown Girl
Post on this forum, on the Wanted Section and Turbobricks. Many good-willing people in both forums. Title it "Need help with AC work in Atlanta". In Turbobricks you can also check out people's ratings from others doing business with them.

Last edited by Henry10; 06-25-2011 at 08:43 AM.