Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

what to start with when upgrading my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to start with when upgrading my engine?

hi i got a 97 awd wagon 850 with the B5254t it comes with a low pressure turbo what should i start with i want to upgrade my engine any ideas?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stage zero.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gilber said. To expand on that, make sure that everything on the motor is in good shape: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, seals, pcv system, timing belt, water pump, etc. Essentially, make sure that there are no weak links in the motor and driveline. if there are deficiencies, you'll find them the hard way as soon as you start throwing power at it.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:15 PM

welcome to the 850 AWD crew... for more info on our cars:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/everything-you-need-know-about-volvo-850-awd-canada-edition-40602/

and for mod wise. id start with intake then downpipe, then dual magnaflow, then chip.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM

I'm gonna tag on to this post cause I figure multiple topics angers most forums lol
Is there a limit to the lpt setup? I mean can I go past let's say 300hp? I've heard the motor can't handle it

Old 08-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by specter
I'm gonna tag on to this post cause I figure multiple topics angers most forums lol
Is there a limit to the lpt setup? I mean can I go past let's say 300hp? I've heard the motor can't handle it
I don't want to hurt any feelings here but from my experience with a B5254S, I agree with what you heard.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM

it's gonna be the same on the HPT setup. you go past 300 -320 hp, and you need to start considering upgrading the bottom end.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 PM

There are big differences in the B5254T and the B5234T/T5 and spending money on the bottom end of a B5254T is a total waste of money, this is what I know. Just try to find forged pistons and rods, it's difficult enough to find them for the B5234T, I spent a long time looking.

From what I've read, the AW50-42 can't handle anymore than 300hp. I think that's pushing it for a car that (I) we want to be as dependable as they cars we drive were designed to be.

I originally wanted to tune my platinum, and I think the B5234T/t5/T5R is a great engine, but even if I put in an M56 I'm still left with FWD. ever seen a FWD race car? and at my age I love the comfort and quiet of the 850. What a remarkable car.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 PM

Well what's a safe hp before I do damage to the engine? I don't mind spending money for the power I like the car and looks so I don't really care I wanted to be different from all the hondas lol so its really hard to find rods and pistons huh lol

Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 AM

you wanted to be different from the hondas and you bought a volvo.
that job is done...

Now if you want to be like them you could always cut your springs weld your suspention, put lights on everything, and about 5 15" subs to propell you at the speed of sound...

and youd have to tune about 80 hp out of your engine but keep the car at the same weight...

wait.... it'd still be better...

really though..

Stage 0... make sure everything is in good working shape. theres a good chance... its not, or at least can be better....

Old 08-14-2010, 01:05 PM

ok thanks for the imput guys. so what you are saying is do nothing with the engine, and work on the air intake, and the exhaust and put a dual in for the performance and looks, and change out the downpipe. sounds like what i was going to do in the first place since i could not find any info on how to upgrade online. i herd my original ecu is hard to find that true so if i get a newer one for the performance i should remeber where i put the old one in case lol.what about one of those hand held programable computers those a good idea or no? what about suspension any comments? lower and stiffer or leave as is? or go for a body kit? so far for prices i have been looking at eurosport tuning they seem reasonable have any you guys any other places to check out? i am in the process of aquiring a spoiler for my 850 wagon anyone know what colour black volvo used or am i ok with just buying black paint?

Last edited by mikeawd850; 08-15-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Universal black is the color you want. If you buy the stuff called "perfect match" in universal black, it'll match just fine. I fixed a rust spot on my door and used that. you'd never know it was rattle canned by looking at it.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by specter
Well what's a safe hp before I do damage to the engine? I don't mind spending money for the power I like the car and looks so I don't really care I wanted to be different from all the hondas lol so its really hard to find rods and pistons huh lol
You can damage your engine anywhere along the route. There is no one thing anyone could put a finger on that is going to tell you if you do this your going to damage your engine. You need to be smart, dont abuse your engine into the ground. Take care of it, listen to it, be smart.

Here is a good write-up
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...-dont-comment/

Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Default airboxes eurosport vs ipd i need help

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Code=VL-S70-en
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Code=VL-S70-en
which would be better? the ipd airbox has a fixture for sas a separate air filter for which i do not really understand but my original airbox does have it. but eurosport tuning has a airbox also but it does not say anything about the sas system have any ideas guys isit a big deal?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM

mike.. i dont know if you read through my thread.. if you have an 850 AWD then that means that you have motronic 4.4.
On mine so far ive done EST strut bar + IPD intake, later im going to do dual magnaflow + ECU tune.. ill probably stop there.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Default rearend is sagging

another noob question from me my rear end is sagging a bit nothing major but starting to feel the bumps alot more. should i get oem suspension for the rear only or all around even though the front end is good, or should i upgrade my whole suspension front and back in one go ie. coil overs, or lower my vehicle and get some performance springs and shocks. suggestions

Old 08-19-2010, 05:30 PM

I wouldn't lower it. but thats just personal preference. I think its ricey.

Your best bet, i would say, is to do your front struts and rear shocks all at once, if you can afford it. Bilstein HD's are you higher end option, but can be pricey. if you want something nice that doesnt break the bank check out Bilstein TC's. I here good things... and lifetime warrenty =)

definatly dont do stock shocks if you end up lowering...

Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Default suspension question same as before

i have been researching or trying to find an answer for my question of suspension, the shocks and struts and the all mighty spring. i definatley need new springs in the back and well saying that most likely need new shocks in the rear aswell, so i will be doing the whole vehicle in one shot. the question is i cannnot find anyone that can give me a answer about performance springs and shocks, struts for my AWD, be it a kit or individually purchased. (1)is there a such thing (2) where can i find it i have been to ipd and est most of their suspension stuff i have seen seems to exclude nivomat and/or AWD. (3) oem parts are there kits for them or all individually purchased? i have found shocks and struts from bilstiens thanks regime for the pointers, but i cannot seem to find springs anyone know where to go? and of course should i go stock or heavy duty springs? once again thanks for the help, noobie mikeawd850

Old 08-21-2010, 04:53 PM

the only thing to do is order these: http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/188
they are a type of nivomat, but are much cheaper than the ones our cars come standard with, more like a regualar shock absorber... They may also make something KYB but you would have to other mods to use them.
the easiest way is to custom order eibach springs to go with your new nivomats.. because if there are any kits made they INCLUDE the use of nivomats+ drop bolts... and who the hell wants those?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:31 PM

ohhh stink... I forgot.. you probably have nivomats on your car... holy pricey and un-upgradable....

You could convert to normal... but ehhhh that may cost you as much as a set of the nivomats...

Quick Reply: what to start with when upgrading my engine?