Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What would cause this dirt and grime...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default What would cause this dirt and grime...

What would cause all this dirt and grime in the head intake and is there a way to safetly clean it out? I took this pic when I pulled the manifold off for the PCV job. When I pulled the head off my sedan and the S70, they were not this bad.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that on the T5-R?

My guess would be Low quality fuel, Mine was like that when I installed my intake spacer.
I used some seafoam and a tooth brush.

Made sure all the valves were closed of course

Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long was the pcv bad? thats what mine looked like after i pulled the intake to do my pcv

Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Administrator

It's from the wagon that I currently have. My guess is that the PCV was never done on the car prior to me buying it. I believe the RMS was leaking a little but the oil dipstick tube was NOT smoking. The ports in the block were pretty plugged. I did brush and vacuum the ports out. My guess was that the PCV was neglected for a while. By the looks of the old manifold gasket the thing had never been pulled.

The car runs so smooth and strong that I'm really not that concerned with it but I would like to know if someone has a cleaner motor, inside there?

Last edited by rspi; 01-06-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Has anyone out there pulled their manifold after doing a seafoam treatment or something?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 PM

yeah i got mine with 189k and it looked like it had never been touched and the previous owner over filled the oil i presume thats your # 5?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Administrator

I think it was # 3. The car had 187,000 on it when I got it. The EGR was plugged and the PTC was really dirty.

I think the guy kept the oil changed but had no knowledge of the PCV. I've run some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in it but nothing other than that.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 AM

mine was similar when i got it egr plugged oil was also changed in mine the #5 was the worst cause it was closest to the incoming oil. have you tried carb cleaner? i used degreaser to clean out my intake, and carb cleaner to clean the intake side of the head

Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your pic indicates a classic case of a clogged EGR valve in my exsperience. I have used different wire brushes after soaking with throttle body cleaner. I used a heavy bristled brush to start then a much lighter brush final cleaning with my wet vac. Just a thought.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator

I was kinda afraid to start knocking that stuff loose because I didn't want to get it down into my valves, etc., and not be able to reach the dirt with my vacuum cleaner. All I did was knocked a little of it loose and vacuumed it. It's my only car and didn't want to risk messing something up. When I had it apart I didn't want to add another 2 to 3 hours on the job to fool with that. Heck I figure if that stuff is there, it's likely in other parts of the motor as well. I could be wrong.

I did clean out the manifold real good since I had it off. I also painted it black, that's my goal for the motor, black almost everything out, toss in a carbon fiber panel or two and have a super clean, sharp looking motor area.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To get in there a little better you can take a rubber hose, plastic tube anything soft and of the right diameter and tape it to the end of the vacuum cleaner tube to get inside the port.

The throttle body cleaner isn't as strong as regular carb cleaner and if you have any carb cleaner this would be a good place to use it to loosen up some of that.

It does look like it's EGR related. Not sure if it's a problem with the EGR or just build up over time while working normally.

Lucas is a great fuel injector cleaner but for something looking like this you might want to try a can of the seafoam intake cleaner. It's a newer product and I haven't tried it yet but this is what it's supposed to help clean and it can be done once it's back together. It's an aerosol with a tube you tuck into one of the intake hoses. It would be nice to see a before and after of it but I'm not sure who would pull their intake just to photograph it dirty and them after the cleaning. It runs around $14.

How to:
Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Spray | General Content - Sea Foam Spray

Attached Thumbnails What would cause this dirt and grime...-seafoam-intake-cleaner.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concurr with your caution getting dirt in valve train. I did my 5.4 in my 02 F-150, 114k miles @ the time. I removed one plug @ a time as I cleaned & turned over the engine to blow out any junk as I went. Unfortunately 2 weeks later I ended up removing both heads, had them machined @ head/machine shop & replaced with new timing belt. Big job but done now! Had to put nutserts in every plug well as the aluminum head spit out 3 plugs over a 3 month time, common in these modular Ford engines with aluminum heads! Removing intake on Linc LS today!

1998 C70, Coupe, 2.3, HPT, Auto 37k miles
2000 Lincoln, 3.0, Auto, 83k miles
2002 F-150, Supercrew, Lariet, 5.4, 117k miles

Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Well, after reading some post, finding photos of the head in our S70 and watching a couple of hours of youtube videos about synthetic oils, deposits, lack of oil changes, etc., I have come to a few conslusions...

1. My intake has the deposits that it has because of a plugged PCV, EGR and maybe a little poor fuel quality.
2. The S70 PCV system is still smoking smoking because of the residue that was building up when the PCV was clogged.
3. My oil gets dirty because of the deposits/other old oil residue in the motor from the PO Likely not using synthetic and allowing the PCV system get clogged. Now that I'm using Mobil 1, it's cleaning that stuff out little by little and making the oil dirty.
4. The high mileage additives will treat and swell seals and help reduce oil consumption. I will likely have to continue to use it to keep the seals treated as these chemicals have started.

So, I'm probably going to:
1. Seafoam the S70, all 3 points which I believe will stop the smoking dip stick.
2. Then I'll likely Seafoam the wagon to speed up the cleaning process that the Mobile 1 has started. My guess is that the oil will clear up little by little as I change the oil and it keeps cleaning up the mess from the PO. The Seafoam will excellerate the cleaning process and the oil will clear up faster (not that it will ever be real clean.

There are so real good video's on youtube about synthetic oils, how the internal motors look that use it, and what motors look like that the owners have failed to do oil changes. Really good stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZivhWIM0 ... TwvUDQATAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apAtKEBH ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-40TaJZO ... er&list=UL