Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

where is the flame trap???(with pics)help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where is the flame trap???(with pics)help!

Hi guys, i just wanted to know where the flame trap is located on my 95 850 (non-turbo), what can i use to clean it up? is carb cleaner okay?
i took some pics of the throttle body area, can you guys tell me or highlight the pic in which the flame trap is located thanks
fabs..

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

please let me know if you see it in the pics...thanks
fabs

Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: where is the flame trap???(with pics)help!

Looks like you've got it in Image 3 - and on Image 4 you can just BARELY see it - your finger is pointing at it, or touching it.

In the first two pictures there's a tube - that tube runs to the throttle body. Take the throttle body out and you'll find it. In image 6 you're pointing to a vacuum hose - which is VERY brittle, be careful when handling. That vacuum tube runs to the vacuum tree - which is EASY to break but only a few bucks if you do - that sits on top of the throttle body. The vacuum tubes pull away from the vacuum tree - they just slide on and off - you might want to use some WD-40 or something to loosen it up before you go pulling on the vacuum tubes - again, it's all very brittle and you'll want to be delicate there.

Take the throttle body apart, clean it out while you're there as this should be regular maintenance that you do a couple times a year. You'll clean a bunch of gunk out of it if you've never done this before and it'll help your car's idle A TON!

The flame trap looks like a concave-bowl-type thing with a bunch of holes in it. Might be better just to replace it when you get to it. It tends to get gunked up and tough to get completely clean. FCPGroton.com sells them for just a few bucks. Oh and by the way, the plastic ones are supposedly better than the metal ones - you would think the opposite but i've read places that people highly suggest the plastic one. Not sure if FCPGroton sells both (I know for a fact they sell the plastic ones) - but just so you know.

Here's a step-by-step with photos:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/ftrap.php