Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

winter rims/tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter rims/tires

hello,hello
since winter is approaching[:'(]i have a few questions regarding steel rims and winter tires.i have a 1997 850 AWD wagon with factory 16" rims and would like to buy a set of rims and tires for the winter.i was hoping to get a set of rims from the wreckers and was wondering what size would work(or if other makes/models would fit as well).was also wondering what size winter tire would be best.

thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Default RE: winter rims/tires

Big fan of winter tires/wheels. I suggest(without sounding like a sales person) that you visit Tirerack.com. You enter your Volvo's data and you will have many choices of tire mfg's with steel or alloy wheel options for a complete package. I cannot think of a better way to outfit your Volvo for the winter season, save time, money and your sanity.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Stay with the stock size tire rim combo too. The last thing you want to introduce is quirky handling in the winter!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM

For what it's worth, the best winter tires I have ever owned are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's. Dang things are able to go through ANYTHING!!! I think they use them for winter rally cars too... Google them, everyone raves about these beasties

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Blizzak's, damn good winter tire.A lot of people use them here in Colorado, for good reason. You see more front wheel drive cars than 4wd vehicles at Vail because of Blizzaks. Ok, exageration, but you get the point.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both tires have graced other rides that Ive had and as far as Im concerned BOTH tires are fantastic.

I used to do a lot of highway winter commuting (almost 200kml/day) and I found that both tires were great on every type of snowed surface from hard packed and shiney/slipperyto snow deep enough to make it feel like youre driving on a pillow. You know the stuff, fluffy, light and flakes the size of silverdollars.

I am a firm believer that All Season Tires are for all seasons, JUST NOT WINTER!

I know that a lot of people are not too fond of the idea of two sets of wheels and tires,but if you bite the bullet the first time out, youll wonder why you didnt do it sooner, or didnt always do it.

At the first sign of snow you cango home, jack up the car, check for proper preasure in the winter tires - if you store them properly this shouldnt be a problem - off with the alls and on with the snows, torque and drive with confidence. Oh ya, and giggle at the folks spinning and sliding and yes those going in the opposite direction of wheel spin. I roar at those people.

Ive been buying seperate sets for about twelve years and Im finding that now about every three years Im replacing the winters and, depending on how much lead [sm=badbadbad.gif]footed driving I do, I can can replace two summer tires every second year.

A car is in touch with the ground with less than one square foot of full contact, why not make that contact the best that you can afford. When stuff happens youre rarely in the car alone.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: breton

hello,hello
since winter is approaching[:'(]i have a few questions regarding steel rims and winter tires.i have a 1997 850 AWD wagon with factory 16" rims and would like to buy a set of rims and tires for the winter.i was hoping to get a set of rims from the wreckers and was wondering what size would work(or if other makes/models would fit as well).was also wondering what size winter tire would be best.
I would say the best way to go is get some 15" steel wheels and mount some Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 195/60R15 on your 850 AWD. A gentleman by the name of Josh has been a great help for me:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-7139-nok...eliitta-5.aspx

Steel wheels seem to be more resilient to the salt, sand, snow, ice and are much less expensive to replace if you do damage one. Also, with a taller sidewall, you will have a bit more cushion for the pot holes. Whatever you do, go for Nokian!