Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Remote Start & Central Locking issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start & Central Locking issue

Hi All and a Happy Friday!

Twas a wee bit cold on today's 5am dog walk and a sure sign that the wonderul MA winter will soon be upon us! (Mental note to emigrate to a warm climate in the next life).

Anyway........

I have an issue on my 850 wagon. The central locking (CL) only operates from either the tailgate, or, the passenger door. The drivers door lock just operates its own lock. Before I work out how to get in to dealing with that, or rather before I pester everyone and especially Tech for answers, an idea occurred to me;

If I get a remote start wired in, or foolishly maybe try it myself, will it be possible to wire it in to the CL system, as opposed to just the drivers door (I dont think it would be wired to the drivers door anyway?) and therefore, the locks would operate from the remote that comes with the remote starter?

Any comments on the sense of the above logic, or lack of it?

One other thing, my car seems to have a module near the windscreen, which 'looks' like either an alarm unit, or maybe some kind of receiver. I only have keys for my vehicle, no remotes, should I have remotes and IF, I should, how would I go about getting one, and for that matter programming it? Would that also get around the CL issue?

Thank all.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Remote Start & Central Locking issue

99% sure that the drivers door lock is bad.
Your car might have come with a remote.But it is hard to tell.

Try buying one off of E-bay and programming it. It is easy to program.

As far as the aftermarket alarm.Do you have a lock switch on the dash?
If not then it would be best to replace the drivers door lock assembly.Then add a actuator to the drivers door lock rod to move it up and down to lock all the locks.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remote Start & Central Locking issue

Mass,
My 94 850 has a remote start installed. (local acc. shop, by prev. owner) I have to carry 2 remotes, the Volvo one for keyless entry, and 1 for the remote starter. (I don't bother with the keyless entry.) The big problem is the factory security system. The only way to bypass it is to reach in from the rear door and lock the front door. or else it sets off the alarm when remote start is used. Installer was unable to get around this. A minor inconvience , just kinda embarassing if you forget. Good luck.
Jim