Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

c30 fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c30 fog lights

I recently purchased a 2012 C30 r design. It's equipped with front fog lights. Trying to find out how to properly operate them. Currently they come on with the light switch in A position and at dusk automatically go off when the headlights come on. This is the only time they come on. Am I doing something wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 PM

i have an 08, i dont know if its different but there are two buttons on either side of my fuel door button, the left is for the fog lights and the right one is to make the taillights brighter.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:08 PM
Default Need some 2012 R-Design T5 fog light advice

My fog lights both went out months ago. I finally took the time to locate the fog light fuse under the passenger side glove box. I replaced the blown fuse.

Still NO lights. Does something have to be reprogrammed after replacing a simple fog light fuse?

So. I then assumed that the bulbs were blown also (ordered recommended H8 bulbs before inspecting the bulbs). I remove the fog light housings this evening.

Well I’ll be damned … if it is a LED fog light circuit in each one. Not a simple H8 bulb swap as expected.

WTH is going on here?
What do I do now?

🙏🏾
Anybody know what’s going on here?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The C30 fog lights should have their own switch in the light switch cluster (do you have a photo you can post?) ...the"rear" fog light (is really just the left rear fog light) and it too should have it's own switch.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:43 PM

Thanks for responding.

I do have the (rear) foglight switch to the right of the gas door release.

I previously checked the switch location to left of gas door release, just in case it was a functioning switch stuck in off. Prayers unanswered.

It is a dummy location. Will certainly put the test light to use later.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:03 PM
The following users liked this post:
whitecloud34!9 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 04:36 PM

Hey thanks for photo. That’s not what I have.
Are you saying it’s not a dummy switch to the left? It’s never functioned or moved since I bought the car.

It’s my understanding that with automatic daytime running lights, that the button would be unnecessary/useless since the driver only controls the DRLS operation when turning the headlights on. That’s why it’s a blank spot on 2012 & 2013.

As I recall previous operation using the “first turn from off light, the DRLS were lit until dusk, when the low beam headlights automatically turn on, and the DRLS automatically go off. I just went out to look a light cluster and find there is zero marking on the hard solid switch location to the left of gas door release.

Please school me on this 2012!
I’m clueless.

Old 07-16-2022, 04:42 PM

Yes...in this photo, your light switch is just like mine...it's a dummy fog switch on the far left below because the car was originally ordered without factory fogs. For the main rotate switch above it the first position "0" at the bottom (shown) is just the (low beam) daytime driving lights on when your running...the 2nd position is just the parking lights on...the third position is the actual main beams on....high /low activated by the turn signal lever. In Sweden it's the law to have daytime driving lights on, that's why Volvo wired the light switch this way. Makes little sense in the US market however. What I don't understand is the "A" position furthest right...I have a 2009 and do not have the A position (see my switch photo above) so a change for the 2012 model year is your photo...what comes on when you turn your switch to that position?

Last edited by anacortesian; 07-16-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:55 PM

The wiring harness connection check will be my next move (whenever I get it up in the air).

Thanks for the support.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:05 AM

My bad. Just seeing your reply & question. Thank you for clarification on the light switch functions.

That far right location I have/2012-2013 is for I believe called the Adaptive Headlight Feature.
The headlights move in the direction you turn steering wheel. Ideal for mountain curves.

I have been confused. Will check the O position today and see if my drls are on. I’ve only checked when in the parking or the headlight #1 position.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:28 PM

That's interesting...I did not know that Volvo had developed a moving headlight position-in-relation to road direction for the car. Also interesting to note is that The Tucker was the first American car developed with that function in 1948? ...and another first for the day on that early car...seat belts.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:31 PM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by anacortesian
I did not know that Volvo had developed a moving headlight position-in-relation to road direction for the car.
In Cars with Active Bending Lights the switch looks like below. And headlights in Canada are required to be on all the time also - there is no off switch. Many Volvos in the US can have the daytime running lamps turned off (the low beams on most cars pre 2015) - so the lights are off in the off position (when the car is running). This is done using a command with VIDA. I don't see that option in the CEM for a 2012 c30.

Last edited by hoonk; 07-17-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:03 PM

Yes you are correct...problem is if you don't have access to vida...you'll have to pay the dealer...and you remember that old steppenwolf song: "The Pusherman"?
(dealer probably wants $100 for the software download) ...So I did this:
Got your console dismantled? So you might want to consider doing what I did to transform that outdated "toll road coin tray" into something more useful. I used simple rocker switches that light up when switched on (found on ebay). After you cut-out the "tray" in the console...You will need to fashion a flange to seat the switches into the console. I used a piece of black sturdy 1/8" inch plastic that I carefully measured and cut with an Xacto knife so it would just "pop-in" and still remain totally removable. I wired the green switch (finding power from under the console with any "hot" red wire) and a ground to the green switch, to be a simple reminder to me that when switched to the on position, I'm using my "daytime" park lights (which is the 2nd position on the light switch) instead of just burning up my "Factory Swedish daytime driving lights (lightswitch left in the usual off position). Since I live in Southern California I do not need daytime driving lights. So I simply switch my dash light switch to the park light position during day...BUT...I needed a reminder to shut off the main light switch when I parked the car (or it's AAA time, or whoever, to jump a dead battery). and that would be a very bad day...and we don't want that. The other (blue switch) is for aftermarket fog lamps that I added up front (my car came without the factory fog lamp option). The switch tells me that my fog lamps are still lit when I shut off the key. And my "alt power plug" that you see on the 12V factory console receptacle next to the switches is just another of my "usefull adaptations" to the console. It's totally removable to use the receptacle ...I just stuck a small compass into it (instead of the plain black factory cap) so when not in use, it too would have some type of an useful function...other than just a weird black plastic cap-on-the-console.

Also these are the fog lights I used
https://blinglights.com/2007-2013-vo...ng-lights-kit/

Last edited by anacortesian; 07-19-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:59 PM

Folks, please excuse me. I’ve been having some short term memory issues.

Hoonk,

Thanks.
My drls work when switched to the A setting.

Will ID which setting controls the Active Bends once dark hits. The option is definitely setup on this car.
I’ve seen it in action.

Ana,

I really like that switch setup.👌

Old 07-17-2022, 08:45 PM

My Active Bending Lights also function via the A headlight position. 😅