Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

C30 T5 spraying coolant out the back of the Coolant Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C30 T5 spraying coolant out the back of the Coolant Reservoir

Hi

Just bought a 2010 c30 t5, it has 104000kms on it. Did 3 hard pulls on a 10minute drive. When I parked and switched off, I noticed fluid leaking onto the ground. Opened the bonet and noticed coolant spraying out of the back of the coolant reservoir. Temp Guage didn't move from the 12o'clock position. Took an easy drive home and noticed the reservoir was almost empty. Need assistance diagnosing the issue please. Should I just top it up and let it idle to see if the levels stabilize? Noticed bubbling in the tank and bubbles from the 2 front lines. Would I need to bleed the air out of the system after topping up the reservoir?

Old 04-30-2022, 04:43 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

If the coolant bottle is leaking - replace it. They crack and leak. the system will self bleed. Unfortunately your car is one of the few Volvos that does not have a low coolant warning system.
So, replace the leaking reservoir, test your antifreeze and try to put the proper concentration in, then drive the car and see what happens. Hopefully that's not why the car was for sale. (bubbles in tank from a damaged head gasket, from overheating when the coolant went low and the previous owner did not notice until too late)

The following users liked this post:
Levard_rsa (04-30-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HOONK,
Can you elaborate on this a bit more:
"bubbles in tank from a damaged head gasket, from overheating when the coolant went low and the previous owner did not notice until too late"
Do you think this is a possible situation even if the temperature gauge stayed at the normal 1/2 way position? Sounds like you got to pop the hood and check that reservoir ...and under the car almost on a regular basis then.
The other thing I would suggest is if he's going to drain down the system and replace the coolant tank...do the thermostat, housing, and spegetti monster hose cluster at the same time.

The following users liked this post:
Levard_rsa (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 01:53 PM

Topped up the reservoir today, let it idle for a bit then took a easy drive. Levels stayed as is, no leaks, especially no spraying out of the reservoir. Going to take it for a pressure test on the cooling system to try find a leak, worst case is it would be the head gasket leaking gas into the cooling system so no oil mixing, this could link the pressure build up and subsequent leaks to harder driving. Hoping it was just the tank but let's see

Old 05-01-2022, 03:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep us posted on what you find. I'd still replace that reservoir tank, especially if the plastic looks old and yellow or there are any cracks. They are definitely known to go, perhaps even intermittently (like after hard driving or long idling) due to the heat- and this car runs really hot.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:52 PM

Took the car in to get the coolant system pressure tested. Turns out the thermostat and pipe coming out the back of the coolant reservoir were the only leaks detected. Thankfully not the head gasket.