Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Do you change your own oil in your T5??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you change your own oil in your T5??

I've owned a 2008 C30 with a T 5 since new. I bought it from San Diego Volvo when I lived in California. Anyway it's my wife's car and she usually took it to a dealer for oil changes and I didn't really follow up on inspecting what the dealer did until one day I found the oil cap lying in the engine bay along with the dip stick and it was a quart low. This was after paying the bill and being told it was ready to go. It was parked outside and I noticed the hood not quite closed and it was the oil cap jammed between the hood and fender that lead me to open the hood.

I'm a mechanic by trade and am now doing the oil changes but have found a discrepancy in the oil capacity listed in the owners manual as well as several other sources. The manual says 6.1 US quarts (5.8L). After putting 6 quarts in and starting the engine to check for leaks and allowing time for the oil to drain back into the pan the oil level is 1/4 from the bottom of the hash mark low level of the dip stick meaning it would require another quart to be full. The manual states the low or minimum level on the stick would require another (1.3L) or 1.4 quarts to indicate full so 1/4 way up means about 1 qt more. This would mean (If the dipstick is correct) that an oil change with filter in this car would be 7 qts (6.62L) not 6.1 qts (5.8L).

Have any of you that do your own oil changes found the capacity not the same as the manual? If so how much oil are you putting in your T5?
Thanks

Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 AM
Default T5 Oil Change Procedure

I documented this when I owned my first C30 T5 in 2007 that covers many other older Volvo models. I recently purchased a 2011 C30 T5 Level 1 and am anxious to perform its first oil change under my ownership.

C30 T5 Oil Change Procedure

Although my "new" 2011 was in relatively good condition, I have already replaced the driver's side seat facings. It's a relatively big job and the original seat facings are not cheap, but the results are spectacular. The toughest job in order to obtain the safety check was a full replacement of the hand brake cables. This task I left for the local garage.

I'll post pictures and share my experiences as I learn to enjoy this 6-speed T5.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 AM
Default Owner's Manual Inconsistencies

Originally Posted by GMJim
Have any of you that do your own oil changes found the capacity not the same as the manual? If so how much oil are you putting in your T5?
Firstly, I have owned Volvo cars for 50 years and have always done my own oil changes and all general maintenance. From my experience, owner manuals are often generic and in a few instances incorrect. Our T5 would have a different oil capacity as compared to the non-turbo engine. Also, a common fault is not loosening the ABS cartridge when draining the oil; some oil can remain trapped in the cartridge. Suffice to say is that I always fill to capacity within 1/2 a liter as recommended, start the engine, check for leaks, turn off the engine and let the oil settle, wipe the dipstick and check the level and fill to top the oil up. Often, within the next day I re-check the oil level.

Here is a story on how a Volvo owner's manual was grossly incorrect. In 1999 I bought my first V70 Cross Country AWD. On the first gas fill-up, with 1/4 showing on the gas gauge. To my dismay, I pumped in 65 liters and the manual said the gasoline tank capacity was 68 liters. I took the car back to the dealer and they also thought there was a problem with the tank sending unit. The AWD had 2 sending units since the gasoline tank was shaped like 2 saddle bags to straddle the driveshaft. Unfortunately, there was only 1 inspection plate in the cargo area designed for the non-AWD V70. The dealership had to drop the rear axle in order to change both gas tank sending units - a 9 hour job fortunately for me under warranty.

Next fill-up there was no change from my first observation. The dealership suggested I drive the car to near reserve then bring it in for more service. I was there as the mechanic disconnected the fuel line at the engine and essentially pumped the residual gasoline from the tanks into a gas can. To our surprise, there was at least 10 liters of gasoline drained from the tanks. We refilled the gasoline then I drove to a close-by gas station and pumped in 70 more liters of gasoline. I sent the gas receipt to Volvo Canada and found out in fact there was a larger gas capacity in an AWD V70 that was not indicated in the owner's manual.

Believe it or not, it took Volvo 2 more years before their owner's manual was changed to indicate an AWD model "might" have a larger gas tank capacity. Another instance of incorrect owner's manual information is the bulb type for my headlights on my XC70 Moral of the story is don't always believe what you read in your manual.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CVOLVO.COM
I documented this when I owned my first C30 T5 in 2007 that covers many other older Volvo models. I recently purchased a 2011 C30 T5 Level 1 and am anxious to perform its first oil change under my ownership.

C30 T5 Oil Change Procedure

Although my "new" 2011 was in relatively good condition, I have already replaced the driver's side seat facings. It's a relatively big job and the original seat facings are not cheap, but the results are spectacular. The toughest job in order to obtain the safety check was a full replacement of the hand brake cables. This task I left for the local garage.

I'll post pictures and share my experiences as I learn to enjoy this 6-speed T5.

Have you changed the oil yet? What was the result of the level?