Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Electrical problem: SRS light + dashboard&radio flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem: SRS light + dashboard&radio flash

Hello ! Im new in this community and I would like to ask for your help.
I have a C30 2010 and since a week I'm having the radio turning on/off (like flashing) randomly (not only at low RPMs) together with the dashboard getting some lights turned on at the same time (several minutes between these random flashes). This last for a second or two.
- I have the SRS fault code since a month (need to reset the EPROM memory, not yet done), but I replaced the battery (same model) after having the SRS light
- I noticed since I bought the car with 25km that I had to replace headlight bulbs each 4-5 months (burnt)
- I also noticed that I had some water infiltration in my left turn signal , but bulb working correctly
- Two weeks ago I had to change fuse for the interior auxiliary power outlet as it was gone

I have all the things needed to reset the SRS, but I'm wondering if doing it, as I am afraid of wasting my time because there is a problem somewhere else that is causing the SRS light on and the flashing of radio&dashboard.
What do you think could be the root of this (faulty module, radio, alternator, wiring...)? I didn't have time to start checking (and don't know where to start) but I would like to hear some advice from you!

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by jomercillo; 03-28-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you had that SRS code read? Is it "SRS-CFFF code - control module internal fault" ?

Old 03-29-2022, 11:09 AM

Yes, I did and I had : SRS-CFFF - Control module internal fault ; and SRS-0005 - power supply from battery voltage is too low (that's why I started by changing the old battery...)

Thanks!

Last edited by jomercillo; 03-29-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:56 PM

Okay that's what happened to me on my 2009 C30. Right after I changed my battery as well. I hope you disconnected the negative lead first, then the positive, reversing order to reinstall. But it really does not matter now because you have the dreaded SRS seat bag module failure. And a fried SRS module I'm afraid. It can't be reset with VIDA. And a dealer will charge you $200 just to tell you it's toast. It will need to be replaced, which if a dealer does it, is about $1200. HOWEVER... Thankfully, there is this place in the UK, info@crashdata.co.uk (CRASH DATA LTD UNIT 10, 2 COMMERCE WAY LIVERPOOL , UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN, NORTHERN IRELAND L8 7BL). You will need to remove the module and send it to them. They repair it and send it back. They did mine. They are the only outfit I would trust. It will cost about $200 with shipping. You have a bit of research to do (as I had to do as well). This link will show you what's involved:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...le_Removal.htm
Another good forum to join for the C30 is https://www.swedespeed.com It may seem a daunting task at first, but you'll get it all sorted out...great car really, the electrical is just a bit touchy.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:05 PM

The thing is that this SRS Failure light was shown before changing the battery. I actually changed the battery because of the code "SRS-0005 power supply from battery voltage is too low", and after checking the battery was a little "tired", was never changed since 2010.
For the SRS-CFFF I could do it my self, it just about reprograming the EPROM to erase the fault, but I would prefer to check the root case of this electrical fault before repairing the SRS seat bag module, and to avoid having the same SRS light coming up!

Old 03-29-2022, 04:12 PM

Right. My code came up after my battery change...may have even been a day later. So at the time I believed my low battery was the possible culprit. I kick myself now for not changing the battery out sooner... after it's deadline (about 5 years) instead of waiting until it was "too late." It may be that a "weak" battery slowly drags down the module over a period of time "weakening" it...until it fails. I've had no problem since getting the module repaired at CrashData...and the installation of the new battery. Please do follow up with your experience here on the forum!