Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Juddering after service

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Juddering after service

I have just had my car serviced by a Volvo dealer. It was fine before I took it in, but required 100k routine service. I was called to advise I had a leaking injector seal that needed replacement.

I asked them to do it, but when I collected the car it now juddering in 4th and 5th on acceleration. I called back and was told it is a compression issue caused by carbon build up.

They want me to take it back and have the head cleaned for 800 to 1000£. Am I being taken for ride here?

This is twice now that I have taken a perfectly good running car into the dealers to find on driving out it doesn't work properly.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all Sh00bs, this dude is in the UK, not the US. No BBB and maybe nothing similar.

Daverich, there are coincidental mechanical issues that happen all the time where one service does not create another issue and the occurrence of the 2nd issue is simply unfortunate timing. That said, you can go about this several different ways, but first have a serious talk with the dealer and inform them one of two things. One choice is to take it for a 2nd opinion and if the 2nd shop corrects an issue created by the original dealer tell them you will be bringing them the bill and expecting them to pay. The other option is to agree to have them clean the head with the stipulation IN WRITING that you will not pay anything if the head cleaning doesn't solve the issue. The only risk to the 2nd option is they could stumble on to the issue while performing the head service, correct it, and you pay for the cleaning when it was not needed, but don't even know that it wasn't the real problem. For that reason I would get the 2nd opinion first and see what that reveals. I would not tell the 2nd opinion shop what the diagnosis was at the first shop. It can possibly skew their opinion. Simply tell the 2nd shop what was just done and the new issue and let them diagnose with no prejudice. Good luck!