Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

1999 C70 timing belt tensioner failed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 C70 timing belt tensioner failed

Hello, I'm new to this and am not sure if I'm even posting this in the correct location. I just purcahsed a 99 Volvo C70 with the 2.3 HPT and 108,000 miles. I bought the car not running from the previous owner only stating that it ran fine until parked and wouldn't start (not sure how much truth there is to that) They tried starting it numerous times thinking the battery was dead or weak and finally gave up. I looked at the car and had someone crank it while looking under the oil cap and noticed the cams moving so thought that the timing belt is in tact. Upon further inspection, when I got it home I removed the timing belt cover and discovered the tensioner exploded and there were peices everywhere. The belt was still and tact but I believe it must have jumped some teeth or something. I have no idea if the valves are bent especially since there were attempts to start it while it was in this state. The engine cranked slowly, I'm not sure if that was because the battery was low though. At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to line everything up and just replace the belt, tensioner, etc. and see if it'll run? Any ideas or suggestions? Also, how do I determine where top dead center is so I can line up the timing marks to install the new belt? Is it possible to install an engine from 98 (without the VVT) into my 99 without major modifcations? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 AM

Hi

My understanding is that the valves will have fouled the pistons, things will have bent, and there's liklely to be debris in the cylinders.

Personally, I'd give it a go - the engine may run, or may be (almost) scrap.

I've had this happen to one (car I'd just bought, 10 miles down the road), They towed me back to the garage, worked out what had happened, reset it right, then gave me my money back (write-off).

Sorry not to have better news.

Nige

Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the response....

Does anyone know if it would be possible to drop a 98 2.3 engine into this 99 model. Obviously the 99 has the VVT and the 98 does not but would it still be possible if I also swap the computer and wiring?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That would be to much work pull your head and have the valves replaced and go.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 PM

I considered that but was discouraged when I was told it a major PITA and costly because of the variable timing setup.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 PM

Is there a good written procedure on how to line up the timing marks on the 99 VVT Engines? I'd like to at least try to replace the tensioner and belt and see if it'll run. There seems to be a timing mark on the intake side and possibly a mark on the exhaust side (seems smaller but may be it). But I don't see where to line these up to. Are they to face each other? Also how do I line up the crank?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at second page on this link http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php
Hope this helped

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this writeup from JPN, it is for 850 but shouldn't be much different for your car
Originally Posted by JPN
Timing Belt ReplacementTIPS for Volvo 850

My Car: 1994 850 Turbo T5 Sedan, Auto-Gearbox.
My Servicing Interval Preference:
1-Belt only for 60,000 miles/5 years (Volvo recommends every 70,000 miles)
2-Belt, Idler Pulley, Tensioner Pulley, Hydraulic Tensioner & Water Pump for every other belt change.

This write-up concentrates on replacing all parts mentioned above (applies to every other servicing). Please refer to maintenance manuals/instructions for general procedures, I will onlywrite things that require utmost attention that may/may not have been covered anywhere.

REQUIRED PARTS:
1. Timing Belt (Continental Tech, German)*
2. Idler Pulley (Continental Tech, German)*
3. Tensioner Pulley (Continental Tech, German)*
4. Hydraulic Tensioner (Febi/Aisin, German)
5. Water Pump, Gasket & New Bolts (Volvo Swedish or Hepu German)
6. High-Quality Coolant (50/50) (I used Prestone)
*Items 1~3 are available in one package of kit.

REQUIRED TOOLS & SUPPLIES:
1. Various sizes of socket tools, including Torx sockets & universal joint
2. 1/2" drive breaker bar & 12" or longer extension
3. 2-3 sizes of Vise-grip/locking plier
4. 1/2" to 3/4" adapter
5. Torque wrench
6. Engine degreaser (if timing belt/crank pulleyarea is oily)
7. Good lighting (bright LED type is recommended, hands-free type is preferred)
8. Correction fluid/white-out
9. Floor jack & jack stands & wheel chocks
10. Creeper
11. Service manual (I used Haynes) & instructions from:
http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.htm

Before beginning the procedure, be sure to read & understand the procedure in manuals/on-line instructions. Lift the front-end and rest the car on jackstands, shake it to make sure it's secure. Remove pax-side wheel (loosen the lug bolts before lifting) and fold plastic liner & lock it there with a vise-grip.

Remove serpentine accessory belt by relaxing the tensioner pulley by a breaker bar & 3/4" adapter, it may slip but you'll get the hang of it. At full-relaxed position, insert an Allen wrench/drill bit. Take the belt off.

Following manuals/instructions, align the timing marks on camshafts & crank pulley at cyl-#1 TDC and remove all components that need to be replaced. Enhance the timing marks with correction fluid, but DO NOT mark your own. The crank pulley actually has a big timing botch closer to the pulley, which nobody mentioned. If you can't find it, enhance the existing mark with correction fluid.

TIP-1: TENSIONER PULLEY TORX BOLT DOESN'T COME OFF!
Here's what I did & some alternatives. The access is limited, and the Torx is extremely tight. I ended up stripping the Torx and felt despair. I tried a chisel & hammer belting method but to no avail. I finally took out a 10WR Vise-grip and grabbed the flange around the Torx, turned it CCW. This broke the initial torque and the rest turned like nothing. If this method fails, you may have to drill a hole in the fender and drill-out the Torx. Before resorting to these steps, make sure that you have perfect fit onto the Torx, do the best not to strip it.

TIP-2: THE BELT DOESN'T GO BEYOND THE CRANK PULLEY!
The instructions I used noted that this could be done with the pulley in place. If you have an access to impact tools, you can remove the pulley off, but I had to do it with the pulley in place. It takes a bit of trial, and the belt may have to be bent/crimped in order to get it past the pulley. This shouldn't weaken the belt, unless you really abuse it.

TIP-3: WHAT TO DO WITH THE HYDRAULIC TENSIONER!?
If this item is to be re-used, it has to be compressed by a 7" bench vise and has to be locked with a drill bit (Allen key will be bent). (A new tensioner should come with lock pin already in place). Compress this VERY SLOWLY,spend 10 minutes to do this, or you will damage the seal. When the holeon thepiston and the body align, insert a drill bit to lock it. Install the tensioner on the engine block, noting the correct facing direction and tighten bolts to the specified torque. When everything is in place, remove the drill bit with a Vise-grip and yank it out FAST! If you try it slow, the drill bit will get jammed and you'll have to force it out with a Vise-grip. After the tensioner is in place and the lock pin removed,rotate the crankshaft with a breaker bar for 5 times (or more if you like) to make sure that the valves are not hitting the pistons. Also, make sure that alltiming marks align. There is a white plastic spacer that goes between the tensioner & the tensionerpulley, this can be snapped in place after the tensioner is in place.

When doing the water pump, the pump cannot be lifted up, it has to be dropped down (as far as I know). Clean the pump-mating surface with brass scraper/scotch brite, taking care not to score the mating surface. I used an inspection mirror to get to hard-to-reach areas. Once clean, I put water pumpsealant as well as the gasket on the mating surfaces to ensure leak-free installation. The new bolts came with pre-applied thread sealant, but I put additional sealant.

After the work is done, the engine has to re-learn idle. Turn off ALL electrical devices, even a parking light could screw up the idle if turned on. Let the engine idle for approx 10 minutes.

The access for above procedure is extremely limited, so allow enough time to do this, and do not try to hurry. Again, read the manuals/instructions a few times to get the picture before proceeding. Do not allow oil, grease or coolant onto the timing belt as it weakens the belt.

I wish you luck with your timing belt replacement. Remember that safety is the priority.

JPN

Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Default Aligning timing marks on a 2.3 turbo with Variable Valve Timing

Lots of good information....thanks. However, I'm still in need for more detailed information specific to the variable timing engine (1999 and up). My timing belt cover is different (wider). Because of this I don't have any reference points to go by when aligning the timing marks on the sprockets. Unlike the non vvt engines in which the timing marks get aligned with marks on the top cover.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM

Turbo or non-turbo, the timing marks line up with the cutouts under the top timing belt cover.
This is a writeup for the 99 S70 non-turbo.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=20812

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=20856

Last edited by bw77; 07-28-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Default timing/crank alignment

Thanks! I have my timing belt kit on order and hope to get this done soon. We'll see if the engine has survived or not. One more question, where is the the crank timing mark located and how do you line it up? There doesn't seem to be any mention of this.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2009, 01:56 PM

This writeup is for an S40, but the timing marks are the same, bottom picture shows it, although it is not the best pic I save seen of the marks.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/s40_timing_belt.html

For the S80

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...ghlight=timing

Last edited by bw77; 07-28-2009 at 03:04 PM.